Terrible ranking system

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Ceaseless

Re: Terrible ranking system

Post by Ceaseless »

1000esqrtn1 wrote: 22 February 2024, 16:03 Completely agree. I strongly think that BGA should switch some Arena Rankings to % of wins instead of that sort of ELO ranking. A strong player will be benefited by showing that he/she wins well over 50% of the games and wouldn't be hurt for a loss due to bad luck. Right now only a good streak is considered, once the player get it, they seem to stop playing, Top3-Top5 looks pretty much the same for multiple days.
Win quality is a thing too though. If someone gets paired vs higher rated opponents then even with a lower win rate they can be expected to play better.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

OxCrab wrote: 21 February 2024, 04:28 - so how do I get an assigned an opponent who is marked as "my first game" who already has 111 ELO on them? - \\\ Like how does a 'never played before' oppo have 100+ ELO?
What game did that happen in? 111 may be a beginner's rating for people still learning the basics of the game or just acquiring game count, but they still would have had to play before, it wouldn't be their first game.
1000esqrtn1

Post by 1000esqrtn1 »

Ceaseless wrote: 22 February 2024, 17:53
1000esqrtn1 wrote: 22 February 2024, 16:03 Completely agree. I strongly think that BGA should switch some Arena Rankings to % of wins instead of that sort of ELO ranking. A strong player will be benefited by showing that he/she wins well over 50% of the games and wouldn't be hurt for a loss due to bad luck. Right now only a good streak is considered, once the player get it, they seem to stop playing, Top3-Top5 looks pretty much the same for multiple days.
Win quality is a thing too though. If someone gets paired vs higher rated opponents then even with a lower win rate they can be expected to play better.
Sure. My ideal ranking would be a formula that considers, played games (to guarantee a minimum), win % and win quality. I consider these are the 3 main parameters to consider. Momentum should not be the key factor for a 3 month competition

Return to “Sea Salt & Paper”