Arena season 16: New Year, New Challenges!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
miklomike

Re: Arena season 16: New Year, New Challenges!

Post by miklomike »

One of my unfinished arena games turned to friendly mode, I quit the game, but still seem to have gotten a time penalty at that table even tho I had quit. Why is it possible for the game to come to my turn if my turns are skipped? This is not how this should be working.
h_illes

Post by h_illes »

BROT42 wrote: 11 January 2024, 17:57 Hello!
I want to acknowledge the issues concerning the end of Arena Season 15 that have emerged in the past few days and explain a bit what happened and how we managed the situation.
That reaction was way insufficient. You haven't even acknowledged some of the problems (you never described what will be done about regular ELO rating changes that were wrongly applied for Arena games at the end of Arena season, when they shouldn't even have been closed). And for some of the issues, you explicitly stated that they will not be fixed (winners and Arena ratings wrongly determined at the end of Arena season for ongoing turn-based games).

To add insult to injury, per your comment, these issues were brought by a bunch of ill-advised changes to ELO that should have never got through to production in the first place. And several of those changes are still in effect, even though you got TONS of feedback immediately (and ever since), and they should be simple to revert.

You guys really need to address these issues fast, and by that I mean actual action (i.e. CORRECTING the problems, not just putting out a 'thanks for your feedback' message). And I also recommend improving the decision-making process and the work culture in general so that you avoid such situations in the future.
GeoPaladin

Post by GeoPaladin »

With respect, my sentiments echo those expressed by h_illes, particularly in regards to the poorly thought out changes to elo that have received substantial backlash.

We need actual corrective action taken to revert these changes. A bandaid solution is not helpful nor sufficient in this case. Plenty has been said in the main thread explaining why the changes were a poor decision. The fact that they've also resulted in system instability is insult to injury.

Please take action to revert the changes and please communicate with the community to explain your intentions and hopefully that you are taking meaningful action based on the overwhelming feedback.

Thank you for your time.
Wonderful Plays

Post by Wonderful Plays »

h_illes wrote: 24 January 2024, 04:54
BROT42 wrote: 11 January 2024, 17:57 Hello!
I want to acknowledge the issues concerning the end of Arena Season 15 that have emerged in the past few days and explain a bit what happened and how we managed the situation.
That reaction was way insufficient. You haven't even acknowledged some of the problems (you never described what will be done about regular ELO rating changes that were wrongly applied for Arena games at the end of Arena season, when they shouldn't even have been closed). And for some of the issues, you explicitly stated that they will not be fixed (winners and Arena ratings wrongly determined at the end of Arena season for ongoing turn-based games).

To add insult to injury, per your comment, these issues were brought by a bunch of ill-advised changes to ELO that should have never got through to production in the first place. And several of those changes are still in effect, even though you got TONS of feedback immediately (and ever since), and they should be simple to revert.

You guys really need to address these issues fast, and by that I mean actual action (i.e. CORRECTING the problems, not just putting out a 'thanks for your feedback' message). And I also recommend improving the decision-making process and the work culture in general so that you avoid such situations in the future.
100% agree. If you are not correcting your mistakes, you are wronging your playerbase.
h_illes

Post by h_illes »

BROT42 wrote: 11 January 2024, 17:57 Sadly, since the arena season has ended, and the result have been permanently recorded, we have no way of recover the arena points lost due to this issue.
[/list]
You say this as if Arena rating was something sacred that you wouldn't dare to touch. If this is indeed the case, why play around with regular ELO, introducing changes nobody asked for without consulting the player base first?

Considering that, that 'permanently recorded' statement above looks like an excuse to avoid doing work necessary to correct things that went bad due to the changes to ELO calculation in the first place.

Respond please.
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

I posted this on the season 17 page too but not sure if it's better in this one. Hopefully one of them will get a response:

Can someone clarify a few things please?
1) When do awards get given? I was top 10 in next station but no award received yet. Previous seasons this has been given. Has this changed?
2) how many awards get given for p.i.? Again I'm in top 10 but I can't see any award for that either.
3) Not alone I was in a game that didn't finish because the creature player who was losing kept dragging it out and not taking their turn. The game has now disappeared from my in progress list. If I hunt through my history I can find it but it's now showing as friendly. So not only have the winners been deprived arena points we don't even get Elo from it anymore?
Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

How can I see the results of Arena 16. I would like to see how I did with the games I played.
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

You have to go the arena page and then scroll to the previous season
Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

KenFin1 wrote: 09 April 2024, 17:13 You have to go the arena page and then scroll to the previous season
Thank you for the Reply. Silly question, but I can't see where the "arena" page is?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”