Using more than one account

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
DField82

Using more than one account

Post by DField82 »

Stick with me on this.

If you were playing chess and you had above-average skills, I think you could create two accounts, beat a bunch of average players to increase your ELO and Arena score with both accounts, then play your two accounts against each other. The boosted scores would help propel one of the accounts further up the rankings.

Pretty sure this is widely accepted as true, right?

Okay. In Fluxx, it doesn't work that way. There is skill, but it's too variance-heavy for that to work. You can be better than other players, but get stuck in a deep losing streak due to opponents constantly ending every game in three turns, by starting with the brain keeper and the brain (no TV) goal (or whatever). So, you can't easily boost two accounts because of the luck involved.

Even if you managed it, playing them off would be very obvious, because it's hard to throw a game of Fluxx without it being *extremely* clear what you're doing when reviewing the hand histories.

However. I feel like you can still benefit from multi-accounting. If I had two accounts, I could start a campaign with one and see what happens. If I benefit from above-average luck or whatever, and get myself high up the leaderboard early, I can keep using my normal account. But if I get crapped on by Lady Luck and run my ranking into the ground, it'll be very hard to recover. So I could start from scratch with my new account and try again, repeating this with new accounts until I benefit from positive variance. Once I do, I use that account as a platform to dominate.

So, if you saw me doing that, how would you report it? It's not using two accounts against each other to cheat the rankings system, so that option is out. I feel like it *is* two accounts playing as a team, but if you try to report that, BGA literally tells you to go away, they're not interested, there's "no use filing a report". It is also allowed to run multiple accounts from the same computer or IP address.

If I understand this correctly, I am free to create endless accounts, playing until I benefit from enough variance to put myself in a position to dominate the Fluxx leaderboard. Maybe I should just start with one alternative account. I don't know, let's call it DField82two, for example.

What do we think?

Return to “Fluxx”