Agricola (original version)

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
russr

Agricola (original version)

Post by russr »

Is there any chance that the Original version of Agricola is available here?
Duxa_

Re: Agricola (original version)

Post by Duxa_ »

Its the same game with a few changes (see here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/321121 ... ed-edition)
Why would you want the original?
russr

Post by russr »

Primarily because I own the original and I am used to those cards and have them available in the house.

I have only played the new version a few times (2 live and once here) but it seems as though it has been dumbed down (made easier) by the new cards that I have actually seen used. Friends I know who have more experience with the new version seem to agree.
torvaldur_makan

Post by torvaldur_makan »

Duxa_ wrote: 12 January 2024, 02:04 Its the same game with a few changes (see here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/321121 ... ed-edition)
Why would you want the original?
Quite a lot of people prefer the cards in the original game along with the fantastic fan-made expansion decks.
russr

Post by russr »

I'm guessing the answer to my original question (Is the original version of Agricola available here) is no. Does anyone know of a site where it is offered?

Regarding the new edition, I've always believed the only reason for release of the new version was to separate people who had supported the original version from a little more cash in their wallets.
Ranior

Post by Ranior »

I don't think there is a way to play original edition online anymore.

Well, that's not quite true. play-agricola still exists, but it's sort of like a Tabletop Simulator experience where there's no rules enforcement. The community on p-a is great though and it can be a fun way to get in games, although they also mostly play with a lot of card decks, it can be hard to get just original edition games.

There used to be a playdek app for original edition, but I believe you can't purchase or do much with it anymore.

Finally, I think your characterization is unfavorable for why they put out a revised edition, but it's perfectly valid to not want to change if you're happy with your original edition. With that said, revised has already been out for like 7 years and it's the only one being actively supported anymore....so if you're hoping to play and engage with an online community on Agricola, it's going to be increasingly hard to do so via original edition.
Duxa_

Post by Duxa_ »

Ranior wrote: 16 January 2024, 14:23
There used to be a playdek app for original edition, but I believe you can't purchase or do much with it anymore.
I have it and it actually still works, you cant do in app purchases or buy it anymore, but if you bought it and made those in app purchases then you can restore them from app store. Multiplayer still works on it too, but there is no ban list and no punishment for abandoning games. But it still works. It has E,I,K,G decks.
torvaldur_makan wrote: 15 January 2024, 22:17
Quite a lot of people prefer the cards in the original game along with the fantastic fan-made expansion decks.
Obviously you cant pull those decks/cards into BGA, but in physical variant there is nothing stopping you from playing with all those decks with revised edition. In fact I do so myself, I have the G deck and FR decks and use them with Revised.
russr wrote: 16 January 2024, 09:04 I'm guessing the answer to my original question (Is the original version of Agricola available here) is no. Does anyone know of a site where it is offered?

Regarding the new edition, I've always believed the only reason for release of the new version was to separate people who had supported the original version from a little more cash in their wallets.
Nope original is not supported anymore in any official capacity. And Revised edition was basically exactly that, a revised edition. I dont think the goal was for existing owners to rebuy it. The goal was to update it with everything learned from the 7-9 years Agricola was out at that point (work on Revised started a year or two before release in 2016). So a few balance changes were made (cards balanced better, a spot for 3 player was changed, spots were labeled to make everything more coherent etc...). How do you adjust the game and make it better and not call it Revised? Just call it 2nd edition? Would be exact same scenario. Not make any naming changes? Then that creates a ton of confusion.

At this point Revised has been out almost as long as original edition was out before Revised was released. 2007 -> 2016 and 2016 -> 2024

Return to “Agricola”