Research Station Petting Zoo Warning

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Abraham Schulte

Research Station Petting Zoo Warning

Post by Abraham Schulte »

I would like to suggest a warning message for when using the Research Station's special ability with a Petting Zoo animal, specifically to warn that it will not count. I've made this mistake twice now and it'd be nice to get a warning about it.
Tisaac

Re: Research Station Petting Zoo Warning

Post by Tisaac »

Abraham Schulte wrote: 12 January 2024, 15:28 I would like to suggest a warning message for when using the Research Station's special ability with a Petting Zoo animal, specifically to warn that it will not count. I've made this mistake twice now and it'd be nice to get a warning about it.
Well you already have kind of a big warning : instead of the usual "Place in rescue station" orange button, you have the "Discard" blue button.
Discard means discard, not placing into rescue station.
Abraham Schulte

Post by Abraham Schulte »

Fair point lol.
BenInJapan

Post by BenInJapan »

Not really meant as a critique, but wouldn't it make sense to display the `discard` button actually in red? As red is usually associated with warnings of any kind, and blue more with positive outcomes...
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

Tisaac wrote: 12 January 2024, 15:31 Well you already have kind of a big warning : instead of the usual "Place in rescue station" orange button, you have the "Discard" blue button.
That's only really effective for people who've played this map in this implementation enough times to subconsciously know what to expect. Otherwise they easily fall into the cognitive trap of interpreting information in a way which fits their expectations: they're expecting to discard and have it treated specially, so a button labelled simply "Discard" doesn't raise any red flag.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

pjt33 wrote: 13 January 2024, 11:02
Tisaac wrote: 12 January 2024, 15:31 Well you already have kind of a big warning : instead of the usual "Place in rescue station" orange button, you have the "Discard" blue button.
That's only really effective for people who've played this map in this implementation enough times to subconsciously know what to expect. Otherwise they easily fall into the cognitive trap of interpreting information in a way which fits their expectations: they're expecting to discard and have it treated specially, so a button labelled simply "Discard" doesn't raise any red flag.
Again, you also have a biiiig orange button with the name "rescue station" in it AND a warning window clearly explaining that you will not benefit from it if you click on confirm. So maybe it could be put red but i am really not sure it would completely solve the issue
Monkeyunit

Post by Monkeyunit »

It's funny how with all the insanely silly things possible on this map, they decided to exclude petting zoo animals.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

I don't understand what you're all talking about.

There is a Research Institute and Rescue Station, but no Research Station. And I can't see how either would badly interact with a petting zoo anyway.
Azoken

Post by Azoken »

He is talking about one of the "New" maps. If you could dig for pet, the one you would play afterward could award 12, 15 and then 18 appeals.

But the creators were smart and didn't walk right into that pitfall.
Monkeyunit

Post by Monkeyunit »

Azoken wrote: 15 January 2024, 11:47 He is talking about one of the "New" maps. If you could dig for pet, the one you would play afterward could award 12, 15 and then 18 appeals.

But the creators were smart and didn't walk right into that pitfall.
That would mean you find and dig 3 petting zoo animals, and then 3 more to play.
At that point opponents will know about your plan and can pick the petting zoo animals before you.
I feel this would be more balanced than being able to play Expert on Asia, place pavillion, dig Asian Elephant from display.
Get 2 more pavillion and appeal from expert and being able to do Asia project next action or later that round.
( and yes, this was used against me irl)

Return to “Ark Nova”