CAPTAIN FLIP + BGA AWARDS 2024!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

CAPTAIN FLIP + BGA AWARDS 2024!

Post by DrClick »

Ahoy, Captain!
Hoist your flag, recruit a crew, and fill your coffers with shiny, gold coins.

Captain Flip is a game of obvious simplicity explained in less time than a cannonball shot. On your turn, draw a tile from the bag. You like it? Keep it! You don't like it? Flip it! Then place it on your board to form your crew.

It is a family game about tile placement, memory and push your luck. Players have their own boards which they will fill up with tiles. Each turn a player draws a tile, seeing only the front and must decide to add the tile with the revealed face, or flip it; however, once flipped it is mandatory to use the other side. Tiles have a variety of effects, either immediate or triggered at the end of the game. The goal is to gain the most gold, which most tiles give, plus different boards have different additional ways to score. When someone fills 4 columns of their board, the game will end as soon as everyone had the same number of turns. Final scoring happens (and one or more player may be eliminated if they are showing 3 or more Gunners) and then the person with the most points/gold is the winner!

With its nine characters and four boards with different tactics, Captain Flip offers an immediate, fun, and subtle gaming experience.

You can play it now by clicking the link below:
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=captainflip
Note that the game is FREE for 3 months before moving to Premium.

We would like to thank a lot the PlayPunk publishing team, as well as the game designers Remo Conzadori and Paolo Mori. And let's send more love to Moof who did the adaptation for BGA: it works very well on most devices!

That's it for today's release.
But wait, there's more...

Prepare to celebrate the best of board gaming with the Board Game Arena Awards!

The Board Game Arena Awards will be held for the first time in 2024. We invite you to vote for the games released in 2023 that have brightened your evenings.

Why these awards?

We all love to compete on the virtual board, but we also love to come together to discover hidden gems, share strategies, and celebrate our shared passion. The Awards are an opportunity to highlight the games that have marked the year, while giving you a voice in choosing your favorites!

How does it work?

We have selected games released in 2023 and divided them into several categories to suit all tastes:

Best Casual Game: For those fun, quick blasts of laughter and friendly competition.
Best Regular Game: For the games that offer strategic depth and satisfying complexity.
Best Expert Game: For the true brain-teasers, where only the sharpest minds will reign supreme.
Best 2-Player Game: For those intense head-to-head battles.
Best Forest Theme: For players who love getting lost in the immersive beauty of nature.

Here are the steps to vote:

Visit the Awards page starting Monday, January 15 at 1:00 PM (UTC+1): https://boardgamearena.com/awards
Review the list of nominated games in each category.
Select your favorite game in each category
Click on the "Vote" button.
PLEASE NOTE: You will not be able to change your vote!

It's your turn to play! Participate in the election of the best board games of 2023 and make your voice heard!

If you don't know some of the nominated titles, don't hesitate to check them out! The Board Game Arena Awards are the perfect opportunity to discover new games that could become your favorites.

May the best games win!

P.S. Follow us on social media with the hashtag #BGAawards to stay up-to-date on the latest news.
Maybo

Re: CAPTAIN FLIP + BGA AWARDS 2024!

Post by Maybo »

This is a fun concept! :)

I do find a little odd that you have to vote in ALL categories to vote at all, considering not everyone plays all types of games.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Maybo wrote: 15 January 2024, 14:25 This is a fun concept! :)

I do find a little odd that you have to vote in ALL categories to vote at all, considering not everyone plays all types of games.
If this is true it will tarnish the votes because people may want to give one specific game a vote and just click other categories random. Not having captain flip on this list is a crime :D I also think you should have to had played multiple games in each category otherwise it is just a popularity contest.
DaddyKiki69

Post by DaddyKiki69 »

Really nice, simple game. Thanks for bringing it here!
chrysanthemum454

Post by chrysanthemum454 »

Why do I have to choose a game in every category to vote? In some categories I only am even passingly familiar with one game or maybe two. I don't know enough to pick the best game in those categories and would just vote for the one I recognize by name, which will skew the vote. I'm choosing not to vote at all rather than do that, which is a shame because there are a couple of categories I would really like to vote in.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I second.

I know just one Forst game. And I really don‘t like it. So should I pick any of the other forest games by random? Or should I not take part at the votings at all?

And: Do I vote for the best game or for the best game adaption on BGA?
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

Does the trophy for voting work yet? It says my vote is recorded, but I don't notice anything new in achievements.
Maybo

Post by Maybo »

Thomas wrote: 15 January 2024, 15:57 I second.

I know just one Forst game. And I really don‘t like it. So should I pick any of the other forest games by random? Or should I not take part at the votings at all?
That was my situation with the 2-player games. I hope to try a few more and find one I like before voting ends, but the first one was a bust.
And: Do I vote for the best game or for the best game adaption on BGA?
It does say game adaptation in the top right corner of the voting page. Which also means it wouldn't be quite right to vote for something tried irl, but not on here.
towehaal

Post by towehaal »

How were these games nominated?

edit: also... Nova Luna is "casual" but Sagani is "regular"? Literally the same designer iterating on an idea.
Joseph2302

Post by Joseph2302 »

Also, can you give an option to skip voting on all the categories? I literally haven't played any of the 2p games listed,, but it won't let me vote unless I also vote in the 2p category

Return to “Official announcements [en]”