Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
RazorOz

Re: Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Post by RazorOz »

The current system is a complete joke, and massively stacked against the better players who won't quit games.

I've had 6 of my last 9 either certain wins because I'd already won, or very likely wins voided because someone either quit or got booted at the end of the race. And you gain absolutely nothing while everyone else (bar the quitter) gains ELO off you, it's a complete joke of a system that is so obviously unfair, and is just another thing along with the ELO reducer that makes it hard to actually gain ELO.
thoun

Re: Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Post by thoun »

I know it's not really an answer to this issue, but have you tried playing Arena ? I'm playing almost only Arena, and never saw quitters there, as this is the most competitive players.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

The part about losing ELO for tying with everyone when there is a quitter is really a site/framework issue.
You should search the site reports to see if it's already there and if not, create a report with as factual and descriptive a title as can be.
And then you can link it here and hope it gets some traction.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

thoun wrote: 28 January 2024, 12:54 I know it's not really an answer to this issue, but have you tried playing Arena ? I'm playing almost only Arena, and never saw quitters there, as this is the most competitive players.
I don't think I've seen someone be over time in arena this season - not saying it doesn't happen, but seems much rarer than the non-arena games I was playing before Garage was added to the Arena - where it felt like every game ended with someone being booted. Not sure if that's Arena related or player count related though.
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

Arena will have less quitters. Firstly there are less players in the game, so less players to quit, and on average arena players are better, and it's very rare to seen anyone with 300+ ELO quit.

The reason I'm not playing Arena is I don't like the format, I'd rather play without Legends.
Phoxtrot wrote: 28 January 2024, 13:47 The part about losing ELO for tying with everyone when there is a quitter is really a site/framework issue.
You should search the site reports to see if it's already there and if not, create a report with as factual and descriptive a title as can be.
And then you can link it here and hope it gets some traction.
It's not really a bug in the system though is it? It's a suggestion that the current system is flawed.

You don't actually lose ELO because your results get neutralised to 0, but in reality the way it should work is all ties should be 0, then everyone gets ELO for beating the quitter. Still not really solving the bigger issue of quitters ruining games that have either finished or virtually finished, but better than the current system. The current system players gain/lose ELO for ties so if you have a high ELO your result will always be neutralised to 0 as you're otherwise losing ELO to ties, while everyone else is gaining ELO from "tying" you, which while a bit of a cheat really in the sense that like I said the result of many of these races was already decided, at least it does put ELO in the system overall at a time where the ELO reducer for consecutive wins is significantly reducing the amount of ELO put in the system.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

There is a "bug" category called "Suggestions" which is the place to make suggestions and you can refer to forums for discussions about it.
Should also create a discussion that is not in a game specific forum of course.

https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Arkane239

Post by Arkane239 »

There needs to be more severe penalties for these quitters. I played someone earlier today with a 42 karma rating who as you can guess quit when they couldn't win. I red thumbed them and looked at their penalties and they had been expelled from 9 games in the past 7 days. This is getting out of control and needs to be changed.
ErikLevin

Post by ErikLevin »

This also won't completely fix the issues discussed, but, you can karma-limit your tables up to I think >75% karma.
dionisus1122

Post by dionisus1122 »

Just had a 5p async championship end after a player quit right before the finish line. We have been playing for over a month. I don't get it
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

Why on earth if somebody quits after everybody has crossed the finish line does a result not stand with them just finishing last place? I am pretty sure if someone times out in this position the result stands, but if they quit it doesn't?

(table removed)

Literally everyone finished turns ago, and this player who could just click the give up race option at any time instead decides to quit on tilt because they spun out. It's absolutely ludicrous this voids the whole game, and wastes an hour of everyone's time. Is there anybody who seriously thinks this is a fair system? Is it seriously so hard to actually implement things that are so overwhelmingly supported by players, because it's beyond tedious dealing with idiots like this. In a perfect world the punishments should be heavier for these players, they ruin the game for everyone else, there should be bans for just blatant, egregious offences like this. Like does anybody seriously want to play with these players?
Last edited by RazorOz on 05 March 2024, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”