Help with science points counting

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
MaxPower991

Help with science points counting

Post by MaxPower991 »

Hi, I need help understanding the score counting a bit more.
Everything else is straight forward, but science points can be confusing to me.
My opponent had Study, workshop, laboratory, observatory, library, university, apothecary, dispensary and scientists guild.
How many points does he get, and why?

I always get 50 counting them.
My method is (i am new to the game)
16 (4 cogs) + 9 (2 books + science guild) + 4 (2 compasses) + 21 (3 different sets)

I am always few points over or under what game counted in.
He got 47.

Thank you
Meamer

Re: Help with science points counting

Post by Meamer »

First, look at each science symbol individually. The score for that symbol is the number of copies of that symbol, squared. Add those up. You seem to understand this part.

Second, look at which of the three symbols you have the LEAST of. How many of that symbol do you have? Multiply that by 7.

In your example, the player has 4 cogs, 3 books, and 2 compasses. Looking at each symbol individually, that's 4*4 + 3*3 + 2*2 = 29. Now which symbol does he have the LEAST of? Compasses. He has two of them. 2*7 = 14. The total is 43, not 50.

BUT that's using the science guild as a book. It's better to use it as a 5th cog. That gives 5*5 + 2*2 + 2*2 = 33. He still has at least 2 of each symbol, so the second part of the score is still 14. The total is 47, exactly as the game says.

Make sense?
MaxPower991

Re: Help with science points counting

Post by MaxPower991 »

Meamer wrote: 17 January 2024, 16:00 First, look at each science symbol individually. The score for that symbol is the number of copies of that symbol, squared. Add those up. You seem to understand this part.

Second, look at which of the three symbols you have the LEAST of. How many of that symbol do you have? Multiply that by 7.

In your example, the player has 4 cogs, 3 books, and 2 compasses. Looking at each symbol individually, that's 4*4 + 3*3 + 2*2 = 29. Now which symbol does he have the LEAST of? Compasses. He has two of them. 2*7 = 14. The total is 43, not 50.

BUT that's using the science guild as a book. It's better to use it as a 5th cog. That gives 5*5 + 2*2 + 2*2 = 33. He still has at least 2 of each symbol, so the second part of the score is still 14. The total is 47, exactly as the game says.

Make sense?
Oh my god, I was constantly counting as if there were 3 sets of different symbols.
Ah, baby steps.
Thing is, I have a physical bord game that I didn't play at all. So I came here to get some exp. So I can play it with friends at home.
I think we are ready for the 7 Wonders party this weekend.
Thank you @Meamer.

Return to “7 Wonders”