Start cancellers?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ahminus

Start cancellers?

Post by ahminus »

Is there some mechanism to prevent players from repeatedly joining your game and cancelling start? I mean, other than removing them from your player list by putting them in your settings not to play with them?

It seems there are hundreds of these people out there, and I wonder how long it would take me to add all of them individually.

I only play 4 player Mega games, I bought Premium. I maybe get a successful game start about 1 in 15 goes. Someone cancels, almost immediately, *every time*. Many people do it repeatedly. It's beyond frustrating, and I will dump Premium if there isn't a way to resolve this.
thg0724

Re: Start cancellers?

Post by thg0724 »

Someone cancelled on me 3 or 4 times in succession today. I figure they get in a game with settings they don't like the first time, but don't know why it repeats.
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

ahminus wrote: 22 January 2024, 03:50 Is there some mechanism to prevent players from repeatedly joining your game and cancelling start? I mean, other than removing them from your player list by putting them in your settings not to play with them?

It seems there are hundreds of these people out there, and I wonder how long it would take me to add all of them individually.

I only play 4 player Mega games, I bought Premium. I maybe get a successful game start about 1 in 15 goes. Someone cancels, almost immediately, *every time*. Many people do it repeatedly. It's beyond frustrating, and I will dump Premium if there isn't a way to resolve this.
If one doesn’t use the manual lobby, they get added to each available table that matches their settings. Most people don’t update their settings (and expansions might not be a customizable setting), so they’ll get placed at your table, but then realize it’s a mega game and don’t want to play. Would you rather have them start the game and either have no idea what they’re doing And/or quit mid-game?

I think it’s the case you prefer to play with a game setting that isn’t so popular, and so you will see a long wait time to get a game.
MadManMark

Post by MadManMark »

I suppose I could be one of these people, I sometimes I click "play" without realizing the settings have changed from what they had been, or I forget/don't notice that I changed the main menu Arena/Play option between games. IME I've done it most often after finishing a tournament game; I still haven't figured out if there is any rhyme or reason to when/why generic setting are altered after that. I usually notice this, I haven't haven't had this for at least a month probably, but I'm not perfect and when I realize I made this mistake yes I cancel (though I do try to leave a note too).

There is no inconsiderate intent behind this, just an honest mistake. But I gue3s if you want block me and everyone else who ever does it for all time on BGA (and for all games not just TTR) that's certainly your prerogative. As is "dumping Premium" ... seems odd to pull support from BGA based on actions of fellow customers who are completely outside their control, but I suppose that isn't any more an overreaction than blocking hundreds of people.
ahminus

Post by ahminus »

cowboy_dan wrote: 22 January 2024, 17:23 If one doesn’t use the manual lobby, they get added to each available table that matches their settings. Most people don’t update their settings (and expansions might not be a customizable setting), so they’ll get placed at your table, but then realize it’s a mega game and don’t want to play. Would you rather have them start the game and either have no idea what they’re doing And/or quit mid-game?

I think it’s the case you prefer to play with a game setting that isn’t so popular, and so you will see a long wait time to get a game.
Sounds like something BGA needs to fix.

This is just a bad user experience.
ahminus

Post by ahminus »

MadManMark wrote: 22 January 2024, 19:58 I suppose I could be one of these people, I sometimes I click "play" without realizing the settings have changed from what they had been, or I forget/don't notice that I changed the main menu Arena/Play option between games. IME I've done it most often after finishing a tournament game; I still haven't figured out if there is any rhyme or reason to when/why generic setting are altered after that. I usually notice this, I haven't haven't had this for at least a month probably, but I'm not perfect and when I realize I made this mistake yes I cancel (though I do try to leave a note too).

There is no inconsiderate intent behind this, just an honest mistake. But I gue3s if you want block me and everyone else who ever does it for all time on BGA (and for all games not just TTR) that's certainly your prerogative. As is "dumping Premium" ... seems odd to pull support from BGA based on actions of fellow customers who are completely outside their control, but I suppose that isn't any more an overreaction than blocking hundreds of people.
Well, I suppose that's my point. It's not outside their control. They have metrics to show this stuff is happening (cancelled game starts being so high), and they can fix their design so this isn't an issue.

I played TTR on the old desktop app for a decade. This wasn't an issue, because it was designed differently.
MadManMark

Post by MadManMark »

ahminus wrote: 22 January 2024, 21:48 Well, I suppose that's my point. It's not outside their control. They have metrics to show this stuff is happening (cancelled game starts being so high), and they can fix their design so this isn't an issue.

I played TTR on the old desktop app for a decade. This wasn't an issue, because it was designed differently.
Yes, it was designed differently.
That app was a single game, not hundreds (thousands?), there was only one "mode" as well (no play/tourney/arena), and it literally made you reselect your options EVERY time you started a new game; it didn't try to remember your last settings, even though it wasn't a stateless (browser-based) app & you had to download the java code to your local box to even play. Honestly BGA is way better designed than that app; I think you are looking back at the past with rose-colored glasses. But just my two cents, like I said already, what is "correct" here is subjective.
thg0724

Post by thg0724 »

MadManMark wrote: 22 January 2024, 22:25what is "correct" here is subjective.
I think design that produces repeated cancellations is bad design. I understand forgetting setting have changed, but when it happens repeatedly by the same p layer in the matter of a few minutes, there is something that they're not getting that could be designed better.
fnny

Post by fnny »

I have exactly the same problems and would also like a solution from BGA as soon as possible.

I also only play mega game and 4 players, but it often happens that a game is called up and it is canceled 10 times in a row by 1 or more players. This means I have to wait unnecessarily and everyone is frustrated. I would also like to see a solution to this quickly, otherwise I will also cancel premium.

You used to be able to refuse a few players from the game, but that option has now been completely removed. I would like to see that come back to keep out those annoying game cancellers.

If anyone else has a different solution, I'd love to hear it too.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Isn't a red thumb to the player that repeatedly cancels enough to solve the issue?

Return to “Ticket to Ride”