Azul Official World Championship: registration is open!

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
JohnnyCyclops

Re: Azul Official World Championship: registration is open!

Post by JohnnyCyclops »

Organisers could have allowed single registration initially and then say after a week for any qualifying tournaments that weren’t filled allow all players to register for additional events.

Otherwise a player taking eight seats across eight events has eight times the chance to reach the final.
karenttrouble

Post by karenttrouble »

Seems like better rules for this would be

1) You can only play in one tournament. If there is no way to limit this, then make it a requirement to win- that you will check to make sure the winner hasn't played in multiple.

2) You can only win for the region you will be flying out of, so don't bother playing in the other regions. If your region isn't listed, then pick whatever one is most representative for you.

I only registered for one to try to be fair, but now that's unlikely to work out for me I guess. We're heading down a route where the likely outcome of this is the North America winner being in Asia (given the top skill of the Asian players). And then what's even the point of having regions if we're not trying to get the winner for each region?
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

mrdoctor wrote: 22 January 2024, 21:49 Do I register for all 4 EU tournaments, or just 1?
So, because I asked this ^^^ and waited for an answer before signing up - I've both not received an answer to the question, and now both the tournaments are totally-full, and it looks like large amounts of people have signed up for both....

For a 'world championship' tournament, where the winners will be flown to physical locations - the actual rules and sign-up process aren't well-defined....
Mr_Hyd3

Post by Mr_Hyd3 »

Yup, stuck registering for the only tournament still available, which isn't even my timezone.
Cenvinus

Post by Cenvinus »

The first game is to be fast to join tournaments. Now all of them are full and some people joined all, other no one.
Organization need to improve it's skill for the next year :)
squarerootofthree

Post by squarerootofthree »

AsmodeeRob wrote: 23 January 2024, 17:47 Hello from Asmodee Organized Play,

Some quick answers to questions:

Players may enter multiple tournaments but, are only eligible for the trip once. On the off chance you were to win more than one tournament the trip would be offered to the second place finisher by default.
So, which second place finisher? ;)

Because if someone happens to win two tourneys, then there are two second place finishers in their tournaments?

Again, I recognize this a fringe scenario and very unlikely to happen but it does make me think that the rules to this whole endeavor were not carefully thought out in advance.
SucculentGeek

Post by SucculentGeek »

can't believe it's already full.
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

squarerootofthree wrote: 25 January 2024, 03:06
AsmodeeRob wrote: 23 January 2024, 17:47 Hello from Asmodee Organized Play,

Some quick answers to questions:

Players may enter multiple tournaments but, are only eligible for the trip once. On the off chance you were to win more than one tournament the trip would be offered to the second place finisher by default.
So, which second place finisher? ;)

Because if someone happens to win two tourneys, then there are two second place finishers in their tournaments?

Again, I recognize this a fringe scenario and very unlikely to happen but it does make me think that the rules to this whole endeavor were not carefully thought out in advance.
I'm just amazed that in a tournament like this, there's going to be some people playing in 4 different qualifying groups and having 3 more rolls of the dice to win than someone who only enters one. And, because many of the qualifying groups have been filled-up by people signing up to play multiple times, it means many can't enter at all.... it's like the tournament /technically/ is open to a few thousand users, but due to people duplicating themselves, it's going to be far less.
physicistshawkes

Post by physicistshawkes »

Hi all lovely idea creating this on BGA,

However I have to agree with some of the points made before me. I think its all been a bit rushed which has caused most of the problems, it is a bit late to fix them for this year but looking into next year.

1)Multiple entries into different time zones.
2)Lack of spots in each area.
3)Qualification events all very close to each other.
4)Knockout vs swiss systems

I think some time should be spent at looking at how chess and other world championships set up qualifying tournaments.
My understanding is that to get to the world stage you compete in regional or national qualifications.
From here winners and the top ranking players are allowed to compete in the world wide tournaments.
Of these tournaments only a few allow qualification to the world championship(much like many world cup events)

Taking this into consideration I would suggest the following (it is more complicated and more work but would make it fairer.

1) Multiple entries -
I'm torn on this one but in reality one can enter multiple qualifying events as you want in chess though there are a limited number that give qualification but they are given advanced noticed with a calendar for the up coming year. Spread the events over several months that way if the same person wins its already known and is clearly known.

2)Lack of spots -
Creating a free for all entry system will only ever causes issues especially with a popular game like azul.
3 solutions -
a) create regional or country based competitions earlier in the year starting after the world cup event these then filter into the world qualifying events - creating a fairer system.
b)use the bga elo system as the decider but limit it to the top 256 players (256 is just an example) on bga who can then compete for the qualifying spots at the world championships - less organisation as bga already i believe has the top 100 players listed.
c)use of the bga arena - the top player each month automatically qualifies for the world championships with the runners up qualifying in final ranking order each month if the same player wins twice or doesnt want to go to the championships.

3)Timing of events - I've mentioned the ideas in points 1 & 2.

4)Type of tournament -
Again I've mentioned some ideas in point 2) but looking at the world chess qualifiers they use some knockout and some swiss tournaments. A combination of both systems might work.

I hope this gives you some food for thought going into the next world championship.
Thank you.
fknight

Post by fknight »

Lisbon finals on April 24th, 2024: Experience the thrill of competing in person amidst the stunning architecture that inspired Azul's beautiful designs! The final matches in Lisbon will be four-player games as originally announced.
Do I read correctly that final matches will be 4 players tables? This doesn’t look a reliable way to design a world champion. It depend too much on what the others do. 2 players games are much more strategic because you balance building your wall with blocking the opponent. This is the choice in the Arena mode.
Also how you define the champion with 4 players tables? Do we have the rules that will be used?

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”