More Time Needed for Space Base

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
tuxedokamen2

More Time Needed for Space Base

Post by tuxedokamen2 »

I was playing Space Base earlier and I realized that no matter what I did I was losing more time each turn, because I kept having so many cards charged and had to go through each prompt to dismiss the action, use the effect or use one effect to be able to use another effect and then dismiss the action of the new card or use that effect. I also had many effects that allowed me to claim or buy extra cards. As the game went on my turns got longer, while my timer was getting smaller, both on my turns and all of my opponents' turns. I ended up getting a time up in a 4-player game. We never finished the game. I tried a 2-player game next. My timer was too low to do everything that I could have done and had to skip many effects on multiple turns that could have won me the game. I ended up losing because of the timer. I even had the game speed on the lowest setting

I would suggest giving more time recharged between turns for this game. I can't see what everyone is buying and need more time to look at the board state. This is a big board game layout and can't see everything at once.
Remkar

Re: More Time Needed for Space Base

Post by Remkar »

tuxedokamen2 wrote: 23 January 2024, 17:12 I was playing Space Base earlier and I realized that no matter what I did I was losing more time each turn, because I kept having so many cards charged and had to go through each prompt to dismiss the action, use the effect or use one effect to be able to use another effect and then dismiss the action of the new card or use that effect. I also had many effects that allowed me to claim or buy extra cards. As the game went on my turns got longer, while my timer was getting smaller, both on my turns and all of my opponents' turns. I ended up getting a time up in a 4-player game. We never finished the game. I tried a 2-player game next. My timer was too low to do everything that I could have done and had to skip many effects on multiple turns that could have won me the game. I ended up losing because of the timer. I even had the game speed on the lowest setting

I would suggest giving more time recharged between turns for this game. I can't see what everyone is buying and need more time to look at the board state. This is a big board game layout and can't see everything at once.
Do you know you can select the game speed?

So far it appears you've been playing "real time fast" and "real time normal."

Try playing "real time slow" (or turn based) until you understand the game better.
nomad579

Post by nomad579 »

I have great sympathy for the OP, and hope that the OP finds a comfortable speed of play. However, if anything, the game lacks an adequately fast mode. We've all been in a 'fast' 'real time' game where we have to wait a minute every turn for players who (I'm sure the OP isn't one of these) evidently go off and do a bit of ironing or make their tea in between actions. It can be very frustrating.
tuxedokamen2

Post by tuxedokamen2 »

The first game with 4 players was set for "real time fast play". The second game with 2 players was set for "real time slow” play. In the 2 player game, I had 4 or 5 cards charged that allowed me to move the dice total over 1. I had 2 cards that were charged that could be used to put a charge counter anywhere. I had a card that was charged that could set a die to any number and 1 that allowed me to reroll. I had the 2x multiplier card on the 8 slot. I had 3 cards that allowed me to claim and buy more cards. I had the card that could swap itself with another card. I had at least 8 cards under the 2 slot and 6 under the 5 slot. I had a lot going on each turn. It was too much to do in so little time.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

tuxedokamen2 wrote: 24 January 2024, 20:13 The first game with 4 players was set for "real time fast play". The second game with 2 players was set for "real time slow” play. In the 2 player game, I had 4 or 5 cards charged that allowed me to move the dice total over 1. I had 2 cards that were charged that could be used to put a charge counter anywhere. I had a card that was charged that could set a die to any number and 1 that allowed me to reroll. I had the 2x multiplier card on the 8 slot. I had 3 cards that allowed me to claim and buy more cards. I had the card that could swap itself with another card. I had at least 8 cards under the 2 slot and 6 under the 5 slot. I had a lot going on each turn. It was too much to do in so little time.
This is incorrect.

You can go back to your old games and check them on your game history. You have no games played at real time slow.

You the 4 player games at fast, and two 2 player games at normal.

Also, if you check your thinking time compared to everyone you play with, you take 2-3 times longer than your opponents. Other people aren't having these issues, and in fact many wish we could play faster.

I really think you probably just need more time at slower speeds to get more acclimated with the game. And maybe you'll always want to play at the slow setting, and that's fine! My game speed choices vary by game and my comfort level with it.
tuxedokamen2

Post by tuxedokamen2 »

I'm sorry that I got some of the information wrong. I was just going off of what I thought that I could remember. I'm going to try the turn based setting next, if anyone decides to join that. I'm still kind of new to using this site. I have played Space Base physically. I do own the base set and command station. I really do enjoy this game. It's just difficult to play this on my tablet and laptop. I can't see everything at once, which makes this much harder.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Another point to consider is that you have the cards that you bought during the game. If you end up with so many cards that you can't manage them in the allotted time... perhaps you shouldn't have bought them: time is part of the game.
saltNpepa

Post by saltNpepa »

Wow someone asking for more time ? You should be strategizing your next move or 2 whilst your opponent/opponents is taking there turn , so when it comes to your turn you should only take approx 10-20 seconds , baffles me how slow some ppl are , I wish the game would be even quicker with a 30 sec timer then your times out , would be great 👍

2 mins later .. (re-edited this post) I've noticed you have only played 3 games so get a few more games under your belt and you'll be fine , once you play approx 50 games you'll be pro
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

saltNpepa wrote: 26 January 2024, 18:28 You should be strategizing your next move or 2 whilst your opponent/opponents is taking there turn , so when it comes to your turn you should only take approx 10-20 seconds
It helps to be thinking about what cards you plan on buying based on how much income you think you'll have. Occasionally you get lucky rolls and end up with more income, or something better pops up, but there should be a default in mind before it's even your turn.
tuxedokamen2

Post by tuxedokamen2 »

I just noticed the option for infinite time. I'm surprised that I didn't notice it before and that nobody here mentioned it. I wish they didn't make the infinity symbol almost the same color as the background it's on. It's not very noticeable. I think that I'll just play this game with no time limits.

Return to “Space Base”