Help interpreting the order of execution

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
torvaldur_makan

Help interpreting the order of execution

Post by torvaldur_makan »

I recently played these two cards and I was surprised that they do, in fact, combo. I would have guessed that they wouldn't but I'd like to understand why.

Craft Teacher
Each time after you build the major improvement Joinery, Pottery, and Basketmaker's Workshop, you can play up to 2 occupations without paying an occupation cost.

Saddler
Each time after you build a major improvement, you can pay 1 food to plow 1 field.

1. Craft Teacher played
2. a) Build Pottery
b) After Pottery, play 2 free occupations using Craft Teacher after the Major, one of which is Saddler
c) Here I can plow a field off of Saddler

To me it seems like the Saddler would have needed to be in play before I built the Pottery for it to trigger. But it is both played and activated "after you build".

How do I interpret this and why does it work this way?
Dankwine

Re: Help interpreting the order of execution

Post by Dankwine »

I would've expected the same on first read, but this seems similar to how scales procs twice on task artisan.
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... es#p144321

It is resolving in a nested manner: i.e.,

Building pottery triggers craft teacher
-------> Craft teacher activates, letting you play two occs including saddler
-------> Craft teacher finishes activating. At this point Saddler is already in play.
Pottery build complete

The two free occs resolves "inside" the pottery build, so when the pottery build is complete saddler triggers.
Acerbic

Post by Acerbic »

This is analogous to playing Field Watchman off Private Teacher and getting a plow immediately, which is an official publisher / Uwe ruling: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/280798 ... 5#39574315

It's not really about nesting. A better way to understand it is to imagine the game progressing through various states and timings, such as "after improvement". The game will stay in this state, evaluating whether any triggered effects occur, until there are none left. You can insert new triggered effects during such a state and they will still happen, even if the card that triggers it wasn't in play before.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit.
torvaldur_makan

Acerbic wrote: 09 February 2024, 13:22 This is analogous to playing Field Watchman off Private Teacher and getting a plow immediately, which is an official publisher / Uwe ruling: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/280798 ... 5#39574315

It's not really about nesting. A better way to understand it is to imagine the game progressing through various states and timings, such as "after improvement". The game will stay in this state, evaluating whether any triggered effects occur, until there are none left. You can insert new triggered effects during such a state and they will still happen, even if the card that triggers it wasn't in play before.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit.
Thanks to both of you. Still complex and not that intuitive, but I guess I'll learn!
torvaldur_makan

A quiz for you:

Which resources would be awarded in the following interaction:

1. Play Beneficiary as your third occ.
2. Play Education Bonus off of Beneficiary.
3. Play another occupation off of Beneficiary.

Beneficiary
If this is your 3rd occupation, you can immediately play another occupation for an occupation cost of 1 food and/or play 1 minor improvement by paying its cost

Education Bonus
After you play your 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th occupation this game, you immediately get 1 grain/clay/reed/stone/
vegetable/field (not retroactively).
Acerbic

Post by Acerbic »

Timing wise, this should function just like Task Artisan + Scales, meaning the game resolves Beneficiary, which includes playing Education Bonus and Occ#4. After it's resolved, Education Bonus will be in play and simultaneously trigger the rewards for Beneficiary and Occ#4, granting a reed and a stone.

Unfortunately the implementation currently just counts how many occupations are in play when Education Bonus is triggered, rather than noting down which was the 3rd occupation and which was the 4th. This mean it currently grants 2 stones, but this should be considered a bug.

Return to “Agricola”