Where is an explanation of what a BGA tournament is?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Cos-

Where is an explanation of what a BGA tournament is?

Post by Cos- »

What is a tournament? I see people mention them on the general discussion forum sometimes, and if I search around I can find a list of tournaments on BGA and find individual tournaments, but nothing explaining WHAT a tournament is exactly and how it works.

If someone answers here on this forum post, though, the next person to look won't find it either. So what I really want to know is, why isn't there some page on this site that is just an introduction to tournaments and explains what they are for people who've never seen or tried them? Or, if there is such a page, where is it and why is it so well hidden?
Meeplelowda

Re: Where is an explanation of what a BGA tournament is?

Post by Meeplelowda »

Cos- wrote: 27 January 2024, 01:00 What is a tournament? I see people mention them on the general discussion forum sometimes, and if I search around I can find a list of tournaments on BGA and find individual tournaments, but nothing explaining WHAT a tournament is exactly and how it works.

If someone answers here on this forum post, though, the next person to look won't find it either. So what I really want to know is, why isn't there some page on this site that is just an introduction to tournaments and explains what they are for people who've never seen or tried them? Or, if there is such a page, where is it and why is it so well hidden?
I think it is just assumed that people are familiar with what tournaments are in other contexts. People are familiar with bracket style tournaments from say, the knock-out stage of the World Cup, or NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, NCAA, etc. playoffs. People have probably either played in round-robin tournaments, or at least understand the concept. Chess players in particular would be familiar with Swiss structured tournaments. And also from the World Cup, the concept of a group stage would be known.

So given that, they probably figured there doesn't need to be a special explanation specifically for board games because the structure of the tournaments aren't significantly different (BGA offers all of the above-mentioned formats). But you are right that maybe someone isn't into sports and has never in their life participated in, witnessed, or read about a tournament. It is something that could/should be added to the FAQ.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

I'm not into sports, but I have seen tournaments like what you describe. That doesn't mean I had any idea that BGA tournaments are that same thing. And even now that you told me that, that still leaves a lot of questions about how it actually works on BGA - such as are these turn based games or real time or can it be either? How are they scheduled? If you're up for starting on the next level of a tournament is there a time limit to get your game started? And I can think of many more.

So, a) merely knowing what sports tournaments are doesn't automatically mean one knows what BGA tournaments are, and b) even if you do know that much, they still need plenty more explanation.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Cos- wrote: 27 January 2024, 04:36are these turn based games or real time or can it be either? How are they scheduled? If you're up for starting on the next level of a tournament is there a time limit to get your game started? And I can think of many more.
They can be real time or turn-based, although I've never personally entered a real time one. The start date and time is set. When the next game begins in a turn-based tournament is basically as soon as possible. For brackets, I'm pretty sure it begins as soon as a pair for the next round is determined.

For round robins, all games are played simultaneously. [there is a way to get around it, but as far as I can see few use it] This catches a lot of people unaware as they weren't expecting to have to play 10 games at once.

For Swiss tournaments, the entire round must finish before the next begins, because the pairs for the next round depend on the results of the previous round, i.e., they aren't predetermined like in a bracket where you know ahead of time that the winner of A vs. B plays the winner of C vs. D no matter what.

I speak in terms of "pairs," but tournaments can involve more than 2-player games. The formats can vary from only the winner advances to the next round to everyone except last place advances.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Very much not helpful.

If you honestly think this was helpful and don't know why it's not, ask and I'll answer. I can't tell if you're just being sarcastic, or honestly wanted to answer my question but misunderstood what I was asking.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Based on responses so far, I think the simple answer to my question is "it does not exist".

For example, the main BGA FAQ page at https://boardgamearena.com/faq has a section for Arena mode, which starts with an introduction/orientation sections that gives an overview of BGA Arena, and is followed by a bunch of details about how this works on BGA:

https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=faq_arena

If BGA did have an overview of tournaments to introduce people who are new to BGA (or to BGA tournaments), I think it would probably have been in this FAQ. Since it's not there, I assume they just never wrote it, which seems like a gap they should fill.

I added a website suggestion for this: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=112566

I've got a lot of friends who use BGA, and as far as I know not a single one of them has every tried tournaments. It could be that none of them would be interested, but I know that I never considered trying tournaments because I never saw an explanation of them so I put the thought aside. Finally this week I thought maybe I should consider trying a tournament, let me actually search for an explanation of how they work ... and found none, which was why I posted here to ask.

If you think adding a Tournaments section to the FAQ would be a good thing, please click that suggestion link and vote for it: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=112566
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Cos- wrote: 27 January 2024, 17:00 Based on responses so far, I think the simple answer to my question is "it does not exist".
I thought that was clear from my first response that concluded that it could/should be added to the FAQ. I also would have just linked to a description of the things I took the time to write if a link existed. I voted for your suggestion, but think it's low priority. I can't recall the last time the FAQ was updated.

Also, why not just try a tournament? The sign up page will give you the critical information (start date/time and duration for each game). If it looks like something you can commit to, give it a go. If not, find a different one. Or if you're Premium, start your own tournament where you can control the settings. Bear in mind that turn-based tournaments can take several weeks, if not months, to complete.

Another way to put it, BGA tournaments are "learn on the job." Also, you can infer a lot of information by just reading posts in the tournament forum, like what happens if the game isn't completed in time. If you are going to wait for a FAQ update before dipping your toe in, I fear you will never get started.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Meeplelowda wrote: 27 January 2024, 23:38 Or if you're Premium, start your own tournament where you can control the settings. Bear in mind that turn-based tournaments can take several weeks, if not months, to complete.
Both of these are things I did not know. I assumed tournaments were created by the site, didn't know I could start one if I wanted. Yet another excellent reason why tournaments should be covered in the FAQ! These are not things people would know just from knowing the general term "tournament" from sports.
Meeplelowda wrote: 27 January 2024, 23:38 If you are going to wait for a FAQ update before dipping your toe in, I fear you will never get started.
Yet again, a great argument for why we need the FAQ. Most people who might enjoy tournaments probably aren't trying them because they don't know much about them and the activation cost of trying to figure it out is enough to make them not bother. They're not reading this forum, or seeing your comments on my post.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Cos- wrote: 28 January 2024, 00:14Most people who might enjoy tournaments probably aren't trying them because they don't know much about them.
We know that thousands of people play tournaments in spite of the lack of a FAQ. I think it is pure speculation how many more would play if there were a FAQ. Of course it is non-zero, but to be honest I think you are projecting your reluctance and are assuming everyone is similarly motivated.

Nonetheless, I think there should be a tournament FAQ, which is why I voted for your suggestion.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”