Game in Progress page update

What's new on BGA ?
DrClick

Game in Progress page update

Post by DrClick »

Thank you very much for your feedback on the new Games In Progress page.

We're delighted to be able to offer some of you a new feature: the BGA LAB.
This is a very first step in gathering feedback on our new features before making them available to everyone (see post).

The first LAB test involved updating the games-in-progress page.
As you know and can see, we're gradually updating the site's pages to match the new navigation and new features to come. It's a long and tedious task, and we're doing everything we can to retain the features you appreciate, while making everything easier to access and read.

That's also why we're keen to give you more control over the display of the elements that matter to you: through filters, or visual modification of the information displayed.

Evolving without sacrificing tools.
The updating of tools and pages is still being tested. Always. We're putting into perspective the major changes needed to cater for an ever-growing player base, but also one for which we need to make the site easier to access: smartphone and tablet use combined account for almost half of Board Game Arena's audience.
And it's with the need to make BGA more flexible in mind that we move forward.

From now on, you can all access the new games in progress page, by going to https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress.

You'll notice that the page has evolved, and that the display is now more useful than in the past:
  • You're reminded of the games you're expected to play directly at the top, and you can hide this section if it bothers you: a click on the shortcut at the top reactivates the display.
  • Games are listed by game type: normal games, arena tables and tournament tables, in that order.
  • The sections for which you have no games in progress contain suggestions corresponding to your progress on the games.
  • The time jokers, which were a bit difficult to find and understand, are now clearly available on top, with a discrete minimized view if you already used them.
  • And finally, a few suggestions for games you probably haven't played, but which might suit you (according to related tags).

The global view allows users who need more information than the player menu can display. As not all players have the same number of games in progress (some have several dozen), we had to condense this list.
However, don't panic: in the top right-hand corner you'll find the filter menu, which will become more and more common on BGA, so you can personalize your experience, or even return to a linear list similar to the old display, simply by activating the single-column view.

You'll also notice that the games in progress also use this new display, and that we'll be making a few more changes to make everything more accessible and easier to read.

We're continuing to analyze your feedback, even if we can't respond to it individually. We also hope that the BGA LAB will enable us to analyse needs in greater detail, and to offer even more functionalities and greater pleasure in using the platform.

It's not perfect (yet), but we're making progress.

We're well aware that it's difficult for some people to change their habits, and we're doing our utmost to preserve the very essence of Board Game Arena. After a while, however, you should be able to find new habits, and some of you may even find it easier to navigate.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback, we're continuing to move forward with the overall updating of Board Game Arena, thanks to all of you, and have been for over 10 years.
And it's all thanks to you that we're where we are today.

Sincerely,
The BGA Team

--

Edit - The new page is now deployed for 100% of the users!
zedmango

Re: Game in Progress page update

Post by zedmango »

DrClick - this change just took effect and now it's impossible to read on mobile.

Look at this. You can't see the full name of the opponent, and the percentage is very difficult to read.

The previous list was very easy to read.

I'm trying to attach a picture but it won't let me.

Edit: ok now it's back! Yay!
Draasill

Post by Draasill »

Well - we need a bit more time to perfect the Game in Progress, so its release is on hold. We're working hard to sort out some technical bits to ensure it's the best it can be. Thanks for your patience! Stay tuned for more updates.

Edit - The new page is now deployed for 100% of the users!
Two-Sheds

Post by Two-Sheds »

Why "fix" it if it ain't broken? 🤔
thoun

Post by thoun »

Two-Sheds wrote: 02 February 2024, 15:34 Why "fix" it if it ain't broken? 🤔
It looks like the table to play are now sorted on top, and that was something that was asked! It wasn't perfect, now it should be better :)
blackrat

Post by blackrat »

Two-Sheds wrote: 02 February 2024, 15:34 Why "fix" it if it ain't broken? 🤔
I echo this. I was online when it changed and didn't know what was happening. I thought the system had bugged with games appearing in multiple sections; incorrect status on one of them (although that might be a non-new-UI related bug). I quickly realised that this was a new UI and looked for the link to switch back to the old one (which there doesn't seem to be).

The older one was clearer as a list and even though it wasn't perfect, it was at least clear. How much status information do you actually need? If this is going to be implemented, a way of having a short summary view and links would make it easier to see and scan through.
menettm

Post by menettm »

I see that we are back to the previous "gameinprogress" view.

My critics about the new one :
- When I go on "gameinprogress" it is to view my game in progress but the top of the page if full with 3 tables with 0 news.
I want to have on top the Tables where there are news (or games in progress)
- In the past I have made suggestion about game in progress and nothing that I requested is present, I want to see :
* In case of Tournament : the name of the tournament and a link for it
* The end date-time of the game if not finished before.
* The end date-time that I have to finish the game and not being expeled by another player
* I don't want to see the "Other games in progress:" to not loose time to load this unuseful table. It should be a link for another dedicated page.
* Players in a game in progress should be sorted in the same way it is in the game view.
* Have the possibility to sort by game, by delay of the ends, and others sorts....
* ... Others that I don't remember
Best regards. Menettm
lordsilk

Post by lordsilk »

The new view is missing a crucial thing - information whose turn it is.

I'm playing mostly slow async games with friends, and seeing who has to play the next move at a glance is useful in a number of ways:
- see how the round progresses, if it's stuck on one player and maybe they need a nudge, or is it slowly progressing
- "oh, my move will be next" - positive anticipation
- an opponent whose move can influence my situation the most played - let's see how's the situation
- in simultaneous games (like Race for the Galaxy) - it's easy to see if we are waiting for only 1 player (that I for example know, won't play during the night), or for everyone to make a move.

It might not be the most important information to others, but it's to how I consume games on BGA.
Agentus

Post by Agentus »

I got a sneak peak at the new page earlier and at least on a large monitor I loved it. With many games running it looked much more useful than the current view.
I didn't try on mobile but can imagine that it is too much information for a small screen though. So why don't make it optional to use the new view? Or have the old one as the standard for mobile devices?
menettm

Post by menettm »

Is there an URL to test again this new "gameinprogress" view ?

Return to “BGA release notes”