How do I know how many tournaments will start simultaneously for me?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
PegasusDragon1

How do I know how many tournaments will start simultaneously for me?

Post by PegasusDragon1 »

I know there's different tournament types, so maybe that's the answer?

Sometimes I'm in one and I play one game, win or lose, then play another.
Sometimes I have 15 games that start right away.
nik592

Re: How do I know how many tournaments will start simultaneously for me?

Post by nik592 »

Mostly, Round Robin tournaments have games starting simultaneously (so that's where you get 15 at once). Other types typically have one game at a time. It is possible for creators to make a Round Robin tournament with staggered start games, but it's quite tricky (if the discussion on the forums can be believed) - I personally don't like a whole bunch of games at once, so I just avoid tournaments with Round Robin format.
PegasusDragon1

Post by PegasusDragon1 »

nik592 wrote: 11 February 2024, 23:36 Mostly, Round Robin tournaments have games starting simultaneously (so that's where you get 15 at once). Other types typically have one game at a time. It is possible for creators to make a Round Robin tournament with staggered start games, but it's quite tricky (if the discussion on the forums can be believed) - I personally don't like a whole bunch of games at once, so I just avoid tournaments with Round Robin format.

I'm in a Groups style tournament and all started at once.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

Groups are either Swiss or Round Robin (I believe) - if you're talking about the Viticulture tournament, it is indeed Round Robin. You can see this in the listed settings under Mode of Round 1 (and Mode of Round 2 in this case).
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

nik592 wrote: 13 February 2024, 14:13 Groups are either Swiss or Round Robin (I believe) - if you're talking about the Viticulture tournament, it is indeed Round Robin. You can see this in the listed settings under Mode of Round 1 (and Mode of Round 2 in this case).
Group-stages can be any type. So, they can also be elimination-tournaments. Group-stage isn't a "type" of tournament - it just means there's 2 stages to the tournament.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

mrdoctor wrote: 13 February 2024, 15:01
nik592 wrote: 13 February 2024, 14:13 Groups are either Swiss or Round Robin (I believe) - if you're talking about the Viticulture tournament, it is indeed Round Robin. You can see this in the listed settings under Mode of Round 1 (and Mode of Round 2 in this case).
Group-stages can be any type. So, they can also be elimination-tournaments. Group-stage isn't a "type" of tournament - it just means there's 2 stages to the tournament.
Yeah, as I typed that, I wondered if groups could also be elimination (hence my adding the "I believe"). I haven't organised any tournaments myself so I haven't really paid attention. All I know is if I see Round Robin anywhere in it, I usually decide not to register (just a personal preference, I don't do well with lots of the same game going at once).
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

nik592 wrote: 13 February 2024, 23:55
Yeah, as I typed that, I wondered if groups could also be elimination (hence my adding the "I believe"). I haven't organised any tournaments myself so I haven't really paid attention. All I know is if I see Round Robin anywhere in it, I usually decide not to register (just a personal preference, I don't do well with lots of the same game going at once).
I don't play round-robins either - but judging from the many I've set up - lots of people do enjoy playing them as many sign-up to them :)
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

mrdoctor wrote: 14 February 2024, 02:22

I don't play round-robins either - but judging from the many I've set up - lots of people do enjoy playing them as many sign-up to them :)
The problem with round-robins is there is no warning (that I can find) on the registration page that all of the games will begin simultaneously. Even on the final "Are you sure" confirmation pop-up it says:
By registering to play in this tournament you agree to play all matches planned, otherwise your reputation and/or ELO ranking will be affected. Do you confirm?
There's nothing about the planned matches being simultaneous. The only reason I knew this (and avoid them) was from reading in the forums about people who were surprised by this. The tournaments I've set up have been Swiss.
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

Meeplelowda wrote: 14 February 2024, 20:32
mrdoctor wrote: 14 February 2024, 02:22

The problem with round-robins is there is no warning (that I can find) on the registration page that all of the games will begin simultaneously. Even on the final "Are you sure" confirmation pop-up it says:
By registering to play in this tournament you agree to play all matches planned, otherwise your reputation and/or ELO ranking will be affected. Do you confirm?
There's nothing about the planned matches being simultaneous. The only reason I knew this (and avoid them) was from reading in the forums about people who were surprised by this. The tournaments I've set up have been Swiss.
Aside from someone writing a post on the tournament-wall (that'll largely get not-read/ignored) to say "hey, they'll all start simultaneously!", then there's not really much anyone can do unless BGA change the layout of tournament-pages to add a description under each term to clearly describe each option that's been selected.
menettm

Post by menettm »

You are right, I don’t like to play round robins tournament, I prefer Swiss or elimination tournament. :P

If the confirmation popup will explain that a lot of games will start simultaneously, I will have made less tournament of this type! :idea:

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”