Counter strategy to 'plant your full tableau first'

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
VictorTM

Counter strategy to 'plant your full tableau first'

Post by VictorTM »

Hi, I haven't played that many games yet, but I get the impression that a popular strategy is build your 4x4 tableau first to get the 7 extra points. Is that strategy the only one that gets the win, or are there other strategies that can get the win that someone could share. Thanks.
Meeplelowda

Re: Counter strategy to 'plant your full tableau first'

Post by Meeplelowda »

VictorTM wrote: 11 February 2024, 18:42 Hi, I haven't played that many games yet, but I get the impression that a popular strategy is build your 4x4 tableau first to get the 7 extra points. Is that strategy the only one that gets the win, or are there other strategies that can get the win that someone could share. Thanks.
I was wondering whether that is the dominant strategy is well. I'm hoping it isn't, because I really like games with divergent paths to victory. I have won once without completing my tableau first, but perhaps it was because of sub-optimal play by my opponent.
Mordencranst

Post by Mordencranst »

Hi. Idk how qualified I am to *really* answer this question, but I can say what I know both as someone currently ranked 22nd on this site and someone who knows what players better than me do.

First off, I'm a damned hypocrite here because I DO plant a lot, but not blindly. I try to play for tempo and pick non-plant actions that give my opponent as little help as possible to slow them down, so whilst I almost always have a full array first that's a symptom of my way of playing, not the focus. Also I *lose* with a full array a lot too. Especially going first, endgame engines can generate a lot of points and often it genuinely IS better to run your 30 point sprout generation machine than it is to plant two mediocre mushrooms.

To put it another way, good players tend to play more efficiently, so they get what they need in less actions, so they can plant more which leads to them generally getting the 7 point array bonus and finishing faster. But that's more correlation than causation.

Early game racing for plants is very important because you NEED good soil and you at least WANT to race for fauna objectives. But towards the endgame the maths becomes much more complicated and a lot of top players will sacrifice a full array to make their opponent do an awkward plant and get to run their engine an extra time (iirc Hatomz, the current no2, is rather good at doing this).
Last edited by Mordencranst on 13 February 2024, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Calmon70

Post by Calmon70 »

VictorTM wrote: 11 February 2024, 18:42 Hi, I haven't played that many games yet, but I get the impression that a popular strategy is build your 4x4 tableau first to get the 7 extra points. Is that strategy the only one that gets the win, or are there other strategies that can get the win that someone could share. Thanks.
The point doing this is usually not 7 extra points (of course it's nice!) but rather having a board which collects usually more bonus than the one with less tiles. Especially when you can bring your opponent to use red/yellow actions so you can use again green after refill. It's kind of snowbally strategy which can supported by the right victory cards (the one with filling rows/collumns in specific way for example).

How to counter it: don't refill him with cards/resources! You could go for a blue strategy (in combo with your own green actions) for example and forces him to use actions to refill his hand/res instead of going 2 more plants again and again.
kalencap

Post by kalencap »

Yeah, from early play. I’ve been wondering about this as well. It leaves ( :) ) a lot more of points on the table. Trying to figure out best time to pivot to growth myself.

Return to “Earth”