Dogs: Keep It Within The Team Or Give It To Opposition?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
otiluke711

Dogs: Keep It Within The Team Or Give It To Opposition?

Post by otiluke711 »

Even strong players disagree on when to keep dogs and when to give it away to the opposing team.

I thought I’d share this conversational exchange.

Me: According to (anonymous really strong player #1), “The dog is a really complex yet important card, it’s also important to give it to the opponents to stop their Tichu call or to weaken them and make them unable to lead.”

(I’d add dogs can in some cases make it more difficult to 1-2 but in other cases actually assist in 1-2)

Why always (or almost always) keep dog within the team? What makes you feel strongly about this?

Anonymous Really Strong Player #2:

You can't know whom you should give dogs before trading except a grand call at a score like 820

So you always risk making the wrong decision without any information given.

Me: That’s an interesting reason.

I thought you would say, they might be able to double with it, support a Tichu call that might have failed, or gain the critical lead needed to stop your team’s Tichu call.

I guess that’s what you mean by wrong decision…or giving it to the ‘wrong’ person on the opposing team. They could do all the stuff mentioned above or play a part in it…

I sometimes would also privately think keeping dogs within my own team subtly increases the chances that I give the other team bombs because I am inevitably giving them number cards.

(Keeping it within the team, if you have dogs and don’t think you can get the lead with your hand, give it to partner).

Return to “Tichu”