Can you be matched up with someone in Arena who gives you a red thumb?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Lichlo6a

Can you be matched up with someone in Arena who gives you a red thumb?

Post by Lichlo6a »

I'm wondering if you can be matched up with someone in Arena who gives you a red thumb (or whom you have given a red thumb)?

The reason I'm asking is I know I've been given red thumbs by a number of players because of refusing to abandon games in Arena. In principle, I never allow games to be abandoned in Arena and I will never ask to abandon a game myself. If you want to abandon, you should just go ahead and concede. I've conceded many times myself, it's no big deal. However, there are players out there who seem to think that they are entitled to have games abandoned for whatever reason (bad luck, unfamiliar starting civs, because they are losing, boss is calling them, etc, etc) and when you refuse they start calling you a bad sport and give you a red thumb.

Ok fine, I'm cool with getting a red thumb. However, ever since getting red thumbed by them, I noticed that I never get matched up with them in Arena, while before I would routinely get matched up with them. This is a pity, because the players that give me red thumbs are ones that I beat up on quite regularly (some of them have never beaten me). This got me thinking, if this is indeed what is happening, would it be possible to strategically use red thumbs as a way of avoiding players that you have a hard time beating, hence manipulating the match up algorithm in Arena to your favor? (Note: I would never do this, but was wondering if this is a possibility)
NaCl_duke

Re: Can you be matched up with someone in Arena who gives you a red thumb?

Post by NaCl_duke »

From the FAQ's:

....The effects of a red thumb are:

This player will not be able to play with you anymore (except if you meet in a tournament).
This player will not be able to send you private messages or watch your games as a spectator.

red thumb = no arena play.
My opinion: If they allow tournament match-up they should allow arena match-up. Maybe with a 5 minute time delay to enable a non red thumbed player to "jump in"
Sjarmtrollet

Re: Can you be matched up with someone in Arena who gives you a red thumb?

Post by Sjarmtrollet »

No, not at the moment, as NaCl_duke wrote above, but it will change in the next season:

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33785
lordalx wrote: 13 December 2023, 10:41 → Red Thumbs for competitive play
One last thing that is going to be changed in a few weeks will be the impact of the Red Thumbs.
You can currently give a Red Thumb to any player with which you had a bad game experience. This prevents you from competing against them in ranked games or the Arena, but not in Tournaments.
This system can, and unfortunately is, used to prevent some players from competing against the best players. Considering that the Red Thumb system is being abused this way, on purpose or not, we will update the way Red Thumbs are impacting the matchmaking for the next season.

Return to “Tapestry”