How are the game forums sorted?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Ceaseless

Re: How are the game forums sorted?

Post by Ceaseless »

Did they fix it? I think it's lining up for me now.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Ceaseless wrote: 19 April 2024, 16:22 Did they fix it? I think it's lining up for me now.
I haven't had an email response about the bug report being updated - but I just checked now and yes, it seems to be fixed :D (It definitely wasn't as of last night UK time - ie around 18 hours ago.)
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Ceaseless wrote: 19 April 2024, 16:22 Did they fix it? I think it's lining up for me now.
I'm very curious about how it got broken in the first place, but I doubt we'll ever know.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

They're obviously applying some post-processing to the forum pages and wrapping them in an "iframe" in order to add the BGA topbar and hide the games you haven't played. That's why there's the "jump" when the page finishes loading (https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=50529) and why e.g. mouse gestures in Firefox don't work in the forum. That kind of hacking tends to break easily with any change or update.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Ha, I'd never even noticed the forum page was in an iframe, but I just inspected and you're right. They've obviously done a good job hiding that (most iframes are really obvious with a lot of browser UI still around them), but it all begs the question of why.

(Also, I'd totally forgotten raising that other bug - wow, 2 and a half years ago with no comments and only 8 upvotes, no wonder nothing is being done about it...)
Lymon Flowers

Post by Lymon Flowers »

Meeplelowda wrote: 20 April 2024, 00:02
I'm very curious about how it got broken in the first place, but I doubt we'll ever know.
There were some magic post processing on the phpBB tables to sort forums and that got broken by some side effects (too many games). Now you know. ;-)
And yes, I forgot to acknowledge the fix here, sorry!
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Lymon Flowers wrote: 24 April 2024, 11:29
Meeplelowda wrote: 20 April 2024, 00:02
There were some magic post processing on the phpBB tables to sort forums and that got broken by some side effects (too many games). Now you know. ;-)
And yes, I forgot to acknowledge the fix here, sorry!
Thanks for the response! ;)
liamragan

Post by liamragan »

Understood
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Thanks, I'm happy this is back to working how it should be!

Return to “Discussions”