Player not taking turn , but playing other games

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Oxmeister

Player not taking turn , but playing other games

Post by Oxmeister »

We have a 7 player 7 Wonders tournament game where a player stopped making moves 8-10 days ago. The player continues to come online and plays other games, but ignores this one which is about 50% progressed despite being about 8 days over time.

This is incredibly frustrating, and, if deliberate, very unsporting. What, if anything, can I do about this? Skipping is an option, but that means that the players who were doing well (not especially me but clearly at this stage some are on track to win) lose the benefit of their good play,

Thank you.
mrdoctor

Re: Player not taking turn , but playing other games

Post by mrdoctor »

Have you messaged them to ask in the in-game chat before taking to the forums?

Also, if it's someone who has a lot of games running at once, then it often happens with such players that the game only gets to the top of their 'to play a move' list once they're basically out-of-time, as players running 50+ games at once often seem to never get down to zero-turns they need to play....
nik592

Post by nik592 »

So BGA has a thing where if you're over time on a game, you can't actually play any of your other games (or start any other games) until you play that one (it may only be for Arena/tournaments, but it's definitely a thing). I've been annoyingly hit by this where a game finishes on me overnight and I go to kick off a new table of that game before I get into playing my moves and forget to and BGA won't let me. So I wasn't sure how a player could be that far in the red and playing other games - you got me curious about what was going on here.

I looked at your active games, and I couldn't see any 7 Player 7 Wonders games going on.

So I looked at your recent tournaments and found one that has 7 Player games. And the game you're in is about 50% done and the player who's turn it is is 9 days in the red. So I'm pretty sure this is the game you mean.

Except I'm still very confused. Cause ANOTHER player was booted from this game about 10 days ago, everyone has left except one player (including both you and the player whose turn it currently is), and all the moves should be AI(ish - BGA's AI for this sort of thing tends to be pretty rudimentary, I think basically taking the easiest move to keep the game progressing). I don't know why the AI hasn't taken the turn for the player whose turn it is, but it doesn't matter anyway as the game was over as soon as that other player got booted.

Though, I'm not sure what happens if the last person doesn't leave the table. Typically there's two outcomes in tournaments where a game is aborted - booting and max timeout. This is obviously a booting situation, but if the last player doesn't leave, does it become a max timeout scenario? Because that will affect rankings - bootings result in rankings awarded possibly by seniority, possibly entirely randomly, while max timeout goes to whoever has most time remaining. Either way, there's little you can do to affect the outcome here.

But as to why the player 9 days in the red isn't taking their turns? They're not at the table anymore. BGA isn't telling them they have a turn to take (and by rights, they don't). If you want to speed things along, you could message the person who is the last one at the table, and ask if he wants to exit so the tournament can move on, but it might be that he's holding it open to affect a max timeout game end instead of a booting game end. If that's the case, then you've got another 11-ish days to wait.
Oxmeister

Post by Oxmeister »

Hi Nik592,

Thanks for looking into this - I've been somewhat confused by the game in question too. I did indeed leave the game (after I posted the original post in this thread) when I figured what you had, that players had left the game anyway.

I hope the game ends up being somehow 'equally null and void' (still suboptimal but probably better than it all going to first or last to leave) , but on the basis that I can't really change that now , I guess I'll just wait 11 days for the next round and see what happens. Thanks again for trying to help.
slimy_asparagus

Post by slimy_asparagus »

nik592 wrote: 09 March 2024, 14:22 So BGA has a thing where if you're over time on a game, you can't actually play any of your other games (or start any other games) until you play that one (it may only be for Arena/tournaments, but it's definitely a thing). I've been annoyingly hit by this where a game finishes on me overnight and I go to kick off a new table of that game before I get into playing my moves and forget to and BGA won't let me. So I wasn't sure how a player could be that far in the red and playing other games - you got me curious about what was going on here.
I have only ever seen that on Arena mode games.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

slimy_asparagus wrote: 16 March 2024, 01:48 I have only ever seen that on Arena mode games.
It definitely happens for tournaments too, which I know because that's mostly where my time penalties come from.
bobbycwall

Post by bobbycwall »

I am having this problem too right now. The problem is that we are given 15 days of thinking time. They are on bga many times a day and have no other games going but aren't moving. They were moving when the game was going their way but now that it's looking less likely they will win they have stopped.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

bobbycwall wrote: 19 March 2024, 17:26 I am having this problem too right now. The problem is that we are given 15 days of thinking time. They are on bga many times a day and have no other games going but aren't moving. They were moving when the game was going their way but now that it's looking less likely they will win they have stopped.
15 days is their total for the game, once it runs out, you can boot them (note that this will guarantee you to win and progress in the tournament because this is a 2p match - in multiplayer tournament games, booting can result in different outcomes if multiple players are eliminated per game). It's frustrating that they won't see out the game, but for whatever reason, they can make that choice - you just have the option to boot them.

That said, they may return, it has only been a couple of days. If not, move on with your other games, and you should get a notification when they're out of time.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”