Restrict access to tables a different way.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Drag_Racer

Restrict access to tables a different way.

Post by Drag_Racer »

This is a message to BGA administrators.

I would like to request an addition to the possible ways to restrict/allow access to tables. I am thinking about this particularly for Tichu, however, it might be useful and wanted for other games.

At the moment it is possible to restrict/allow access based on karma, ELO, language, and group of friends. Karma is the most useful, but ELO has some shortcomings as the ELO ranking system is not all that good, especially for Tichu.

Therefore, I would like to suggest an additional way to restrict/allow access, and that is by win %.

The reason for this suggestion is that it is very easy to reach 100 ELO and impossible to drop below it again. In addition, a player can reach 200 with a few consecutive wins, but still be learning the game, or someone that plays casually in tables of 500pts with random partnerships with players of any level (which is their choice), but have not reached a high level of understanding of the subtleties of the game. Also, a player that is experienced and skilled at Tichu can have a string of bad luck and lose several games consecutively, probably due to the frequent number of one-sided games and bombs on BGA, and fall below 200 ELO, but still have a high win %.

This would have to take into consideration that win % is currently calculated out of 150% for Tichu, probably due to the partner aspect of the game.

In addition, the ELO ranking system could be revamped. Some suggestions would be to have two tables; one for set partnership players and one for those that play with random partners, or a players ELO being based of their last 5 or 10 games.

Hopefully, it is possible to provide the function to restrict/allow access to (Tichu) tables based on win % and it will be available in the near future.
Matme1987

Re: Restrict access to tables a different way.

Post by Matme1987 »

Hello,

I agree in part with the observation that in Tichu the ELO means nothing, for two main reasons:

- the first is to know your partner's game. If you choose to play with fixed partners, it's obviously easier to beat a team of players who have never played together and who are of a heterogeneous or homogeneous but weak level. On the other hand, a good player who chooses to play with a random partner is potentially making the road to victory more complicated and frustrating.

- The second is more obvious, and that is that tichu, however complex, is still a card game, and card games mean that chance and the criterion of luck are of considerable importance. A good player with a crap deck won't win if his beginner opponents have a crazy deck in every hand.

What's more, I find that ELO can deteriorate the relationship between players for a reason that, when you think about it, is extremely trivial.

If it were up to me, I'd abolish it and encourage competitive players to play in arenas where teams are random.

Return to “Tichu”