Make all games with bad players invisible

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
qed13

Make all games with bad players invisible

Post by qed13 »

I would like to be able to set a karma threshold for opponents so that I would never join a game with any players under that value. Just like I can set a reputation threshold for players joining a game that I am the administrator of. Constantly, game after game, I need to Decline the game start because only at that moment do I see that the game has one or more players with bad reputations. It's a huge waste of time. Just like those games are quite likely to be if it actually starts.
RicardoRix

Re: Make all games with bad players invisible

Post by RicardoRix »

What do you want to happen?
Do you want to automatically expel yourself when they join?
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

By now, this behavior is only when you create your own table, which is a good start.
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

So you don't check before you join a table? That sounds like a you problem tbh. The warning triangles are pretty obvious
qed13

Post by qed13 »

RicardoRix wrote: 13 March 2024, 15:13 What do you want to happen?
Do you want to automatically expel yourself when they join?
Yes, I would like to be automatically removed from a game if anyone below the threshold joins.
qed13

Post by qed13 »

Blacktango wrote: 13 March 2024, 19:41 By now, this behavior is only when you create your own table, which is a good start.
Agreed, this is a really great start! But it's much less than half the experience. It's far more common for a player to join, rather than create, a game.
qed13

Post by qed13 »

KenFin1 wrote: 13 March 2024, 21:12 So you don't check before you join a table? That sounds like a you problem tbh. The warning triangles are pretty obvious
Yes, you are correct that this is a workflow that could solve some of the problem. However, it doesn't really work that way in real life.

Consider the scenario where you join a game (that you check to ensure is populated with good players) but is not yet full. Do I need to keep checking continuously to see if new (bad) players have joined? What if I have joined 10 games that are waiting to start? Should I check all of them continuously?

Furthermore, if it is the last table slot that is joined by a bad player, the game will go immediately the the Accept/Reject screen. I will then need to Decline the game start, which is annoying to all players, not just me. This is quite a poor user experience overall (for anyone who has standards for who they would like to play with, or anyone sharing a table with such a player).
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

So you want to block users from the site? Clearly bga don't feel the same or they would just ban players instead of giving them karma penalties.

Think for a moment. If this option were available it would quickly become the default and anyone who gets a few missed arena starts (and that happens to the best of people occasionally) then suddenly can't get into games.

Yeah it sounds like a nice idea at first, and I would probably use it too in certain games, but I think the wider consequences might mean it leaves people unable to get games and drives then from the site altogether. Not everyone who gets a bad karma is a bad person. Sometimes life happens and bga just isn't a priority when someone's relative dies or their kid gets hospitalised etc.

It's not that hard to click "decline". Nor to host your own tables with your preferred karma setting. It's probably the better thing to leave it how it is and maybe just add a way to stop <50% karma players filling the last seat instead rather than an outright block altogether.

Also you do realise that some of those folks with low karma have done nothing more heinous than asking for a review of their moderation because it wasn't correct? I gather the moderators can take this kind of suggestion in a dim light: That their perfunctory mishandling might be, on reflection, as well implemented as a Truss-Kwarteng fiscal policy, is met with karma resets to 0 and temporary bans to the appellant. I've spent a while playing low karma folk in a few games on here where getting a table going is becoming increasingly difficult. They have all been fine bar two clowns who I was delighted to red thumb. I do not think your suggestion would have improved my experience, rather I would have missed out on several fun games.
qed13

Post by qed13 »

KenFin1 wrote: 14 March 2024, 01:17 So you want to block users from the site? Clearly bga don't feel the same or they would just ban players instead of giving them karma penalties.

Think for a moment. If this option were available it would quickly become the default and anyone who gets a few missed arena starts (and that happens to the best of people occasionally) then suddenly can't get into games. Yeah it sounds like a nice idea at first, and I would probably use it too, but I think the wider consequences might mean it leaves people unable to get games and drives then from the site altogether. Not everyone who gets a bad karma is a bad person. Sometimes life happens and bga just isn't a priority when someone's relative does it their kid gets hospitalised etc. It's not that hard to click "decline". Not to host your own tables with your preferred karma setting. It's probably the better thing to leave it how it is and just find a way to stop <50% karma players filling the last seat instead
I don't want to block anyone from the site. But I think what you're getting at is that functionally it would be the same, since everyone would choose to do it? If so ( everyone would choose it), that means it absolutely should be a feature, since everyone wants it!

I agree that sometimes life happens, and not every bad reputation player will ruin the game. And they do need SOME way to rebuild that reputation. I would imagine that different people have different thresholds. For example, mine is 89%. If somebody is at 90% or higher, it's very likely that they have only dropped off of one game, likely accidentally, and they are now rebuilding their karma. I will play with anyone at 90% or higher, and never with anybody lower. Most people are OK with a lower threshold. So there would be chances to people to build their reputation back.

But I also like your last suggestion as another possible solution: making the last seat at the table a special case.
qed13

Post by qed13 »

Unfortunately bad experience with very low karma players greatly outnumber the good ones. It's gotten so bad that I will Decline any game with those players, no matter how long I've been waiting to get a game started. Glad to hear you've had some good experiences.

Return to “Suggestions”