Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Gooorn

Re: Prevented from reporting insults

Post by Gooorn »

My personal opinion about moderation on BGA:
+ BGA is a strictly regulated and moderated community.
+ Moderators doing great job - this is a safe and healthy community for years.
- But the communication about reporting and moderation is *.

*Moderator edit: please refrain from swearing on BGA, this is a family-friendly platform.
MrsHayden

Post by MrsHayden »

ChiefPointThief wrote: 19 March 2024, 18:14 Also op there is a way to see your last report if that helps any.
how do you see it?
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

MrsHayden wrote: 20 March 2024, 00:45
ChiefPointThief wrote: 19 March 2024, 18:14 Also op there is a way to see your last report if that helps any.
how do you see it?
To clarify it was explained how to see the last report against you in this thread.

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34234

For instance, my last moderation was for asking a question about what is acceptable in chat. The thread was instantly deleted and I received a 10 day ban. I filed an appeal. To this day I still don't know the answer to the questions I asked. I don't know if my original moderation was overturned. I don't know if the moderation against me for asking about bga policy in the forum was overturned. The word I used to describe the situation doesn't seem to be an insult to me and it doesn't appear in the bga moderation policy.

In the case of the op it sounds like they are genuinely puzzled by this decision and it probably would've helped everyone if op was made aware of the bad reports way before the 16/17th time.
Silene

Post by Silene »

xate wrote: 19 March 2024, 20:31 You have made 33 reports of which half were deemed Not Guilty.

In addition to this, there were multiple instances where the reports were duplicates of other reports from you, where we had already moderated and already deemed either Guilty or Not Guilty, and you again reported the same player for the same reason multiple times.
So there's very elaborate data on everyone's reporting behavior. Is there any chance you let player's access this info in the future? I'm wondering about my own stats too and feel worried and a bit nervous about myself whenever I report someone.

Or would you say it's good advice for us on every report we make to:
* take a screenshot of the offense and store safely
* take a screenshot of our reports and everything we put in it and store safely
* save a link to the moderation report
* save a link to the reported players
* check the links regularly after creating a report to find out the ruling
* screenshot the result and store safely
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
KenFin1

Post by KenFin1 »

Silene wrote: 20 March 2024, 03:27
xate wrote: 19 March 2024, 20:31 You have made 33 reports of which half were deemed Not Guilty.

In addition to this, there were multiple instances where the reports were duplicates of other reports from you, where we had already moderated and already deemed either Guilty or Not Guilty, and you again reported the same player for the same reason multiple times.
So there's very elaborate data on everyone's reporting behavior. Is there any chance you let player's access this info in the future? I'm wondering about my own stats too and feel worried and a bit nervous about myself whenever I report someone.

Or would you say it's good advice for us on every report we make to:
* take a screenshot of the offense and store safely
* take a screenshot of our reports and everything we put in it and store safely
* save a link to the moderation report
* save a link to the reported players
* check the links regularly after creating a report to find out the ruling
* screenshot the result and store safely
Yes BGA would obviously prefer you have to do that to avoid them having to do it. Same as I would generally prefer someone offering to do something for me so I don't have to.
wrldtrvllr

Post by wrldtrvllr »

xate wrote: 19 March 2024, 20:31
wrldtrvllr wrote: 17 March 2024, 17:40 "Sorry but the 5 last reports you submitted to moderation did not manage to convince our moderation team (no ToS violations, or not accurate enough). You cannot write any other reports for now."

I have only ever made moderation reports where there was a clear violation of the terms of service, which I carefully described. At no point have I received any response to any report indicating what the outcome was, so I could not possibly have guessed that any report "did not manage to convince" anyone. So this message is strange. Someone just insulted me after a game, but apparently now I will never again be able to report such abuse?
You have made 33 reports of which half were deemed Not Guilty.

In addition to this, there were multiple instances where the reports were duplicates of other reports from you, where we had already moderated and already deemed either Guilty or Not Guilty, and you again reported the same player for the same reason multiple times. This wastes the valuable time our volunteer moderators spend looking into cases and is unfair both to them and to the rest of the players waiting for the reports they submitted to be reviewed.
I'm looking through the terms of service and privacy statements, and I really can't see anything that suggests that you can publicise details about my on-site activities in this way, which is clearly intended to make me look bad.
  1. The message I got implied that I was being punished for the content of my last five reports (each of which has explained carefully which part of the terms of service I was concerned with). What you have shared here suggest that you wish to punish me for making reports in general.
  2. I created my account almost exactly four years ago. 16 or 17 declined reports over four years equates to about one such report every three months.
  3. When I made several reports about the same situation, it was because the information shown on the page of the user I reported suggested that the moderators had not understood what I was reporting. There seemed to be no other way to provide additional information.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

wrldtrvllr wrote: 20 March 2024, 22:29I'm looking through the terms of service and privacy statements, and I really can't see anything that suggests that you can publicise details about my on-site activities in this way, which is clearly intended to make me look bad.
I can understand debating the reasons for the reports, or having concerns about communication etc. but this portion of your post I don't get. You made a public thread about not being able to send reports, and you want to complain about a moderator commenting on that very thread with information that might have been relevant to how this happened? This is the sort of thing you asked for.
CappaCappa

Post by CappaCappa »

Ceaseless wrote: 21 March 2024, 03:03
wrldtrvllr wrote: 20 March 2024, 22:29I'm looking through the terms of service and privacy statements, and I really can't see anything that suggests that you can publicise details about my on-site activities in this way, which is clearly intended to make me look bad.
I can understand debating the reasons for the reports, or having concerns about communication etc. but this portion of your post I don't get. You made a public thread about not being able to send reports, and you want to complain about a moderator commenting on that very thread with information that might have been relevant to how this happened? This is the sort of thing you asked for.
+1
clash

Post by clash »

33 denunciations (in 5 years) out of 23216 games played, that's one every 704 games, which seems quite reasonable given the rather "competitive spirit", shall we say, of some people on BGA. So I think it's inappropriate to point to this particular figure and suggest that it's excessive, especially if half of these denunciations were justified.
teallite

Post by teallite »

Ceaseless wrote: 21 March 2024, 03:03 You made a public thread about not being able to send reports, and you want to complain about a moderator commenting on that very thread with information that might have been relevant to how this happened?
And how exactly is it relevant? This info rubbed me the wrong way too, because without additional context it doesn't mean anything at best. Were these 33 reports made over 4 years or less? Over 23000+ games or less? Maybe 33 reports are just too much regardless of time period and number of played games. Maybe 50% success rate is too low. Does "not guilty" status automatically mean that report is not valid? After all, not guilty doesn't imply that reported player is innocent. And finally, how does this all tie into this message:"Sorry but the 5 last reports you submitted to moderation did not manage to convince our moderation team (no ToS violations, or not accurate enough)"?

So, yes, it would be better if we saw some additional concrete guidelines about reporting instead of stating some facts about a certain player. It would be even better, if there was some intermediary automated warning when a player is nearing a permanent ban on reporting.

Return to “Discussions”