Color preference question?

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
AdamHorton

Color preference question?

Post by AdamHorton »

I am a premium member and have my color preferences set to prefer a certain color. This works almost all of the time except sometimes I come across a game where my opponent gets my top choice, so I get my second choice.

I had assumed that when both players are premium members and have their top color preference set to the same color, that the person to get their preferred color would be randomly selected, but I have matched one person four times recently and they got the preferred color all four times.

I understand there is a small chance of this happening but this is enough to get me to ask the question: how are colors determined in this situation, and is it working properly?

Any information people have, even if it's anecdotal, would be helpful. I don't recall any situation where I've ever seen me get my preferred color and my opponent getting their preferred color in different games, but with the same two opponents, which leads me to believe that something else could be determining it, like length of BGA premium membership. But that's just speculation.
Amau_Catepetl

Re: Color preference question?

Post by Amau_Catepetl »

hello, on my side, I played many times with players having the same prefered color as me, and sometimes I have it, sometimes he has it. So, I can just tell you that it is not linked to the length of BGA premium membership
KenFin1

Re: Color preference question?

Post by KenFin1 »

You probably want a dev who knows the code to give a proper answer. Whether any of those will read this is anyone's guess.

I think it may be game dependent as well as site dependent, i.e linked to the turn order assigned in some games (but not all). I've not been premium for some time now (and doubt I will pay again given how the site is progressing) so i can't help test that I'm afraid.

I can say as the previous post that when i did have colour pref set I had times where i didn't get it and times when I did so it's not a simple "some users are luckier than others" thing. In some games the rematch option made no difference so it's also not a simple "oh it's turn order assigned" answer either.

Return to “Suggestions”