Statistically improbable ELOs

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
sarasusan

Statistically improbable ELOs

Post by sarasusan »

I've noticed a number of Earth players whose statistics are highly unlikely, such as winning 90-95% of games. For instance, I was about to play someone in the top 10 who has only played 60 games, yet has won 54 of those. I know there are genuinely amazing gamers, but there are a lot of red flags to me about some of these players. Is there a way to report suspicion of these cases?
LKingdom

Re: Statistically improbable ELOs

Post by LKingdom »

I suggest you use you time learning to play better rather than harming top players.
Andrewsmile

Post by Andrewsmile »

I can actually shed some light on this, I was the number one Earth player for a few months when the game released and I was indeed hitting a 90% winrate- a big part of this was the general skill level of the game- not everyone "got it" and good players could win incredibly consistently against newer players, and doing this in 3 player games really boosted everyone's winrate. I almost only played 2 player but still maintained an >80% winrate and I imagine those more focused on 3 player easily got into the 90s. I can speak to BlueRadio's skill here, he was a phenomenal player back then and grinded out a high elo and stayed consistent. TLDR: skill issue
LKingdom

Post by LKingdom »

I think in many games there is this noob who thinks that better players are cheating.
frotes

Post by frotes »

I started playing earth last season and it is definitely possible to win 80%+ of games. I'm currently at high 80s-90 and first ELO with under 100 games

the active count of this game isn't as high as others so if a stronger player is matched against a regular, you have strong odds of winning just buy understanding tempo and managing ecosystem and objectives. you can often layout your board better and in a way that will give you better outs or setups for terrain cards to score more points

if strong players face each other then draws will matter more since ultimately this is a card based game

but you would be surprised how much tactical play there is and ways to squeeze out some more points

Return to “Earth”