damage limit for stone crush?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
PurePearl

damage limit for stone crush?

Post by PurePearl »

TBH i really dislike this spell. No, it is Not OP, not this reason. But it interrupt the game in a unpleasant way, like the secret oath, but not that serious.
it punishes the normal way we play the game: the more cards the worse. not good in a straightforward game. and the damage is weird too, 4 cards on your hand is pretty common right? sometimes it's just pure luck when the board fliped out a new Stone Crush and you are doomed
and its combo is basically only betrayal, vice versa, kind of...dumb
I think maybe it's a good idea limiting stone crush's damage to 6 at max, and setting a minus damage at 2 like Reckless Attack.
LimitedPower

Re: damage limit for stone crush?

Post by LimitedPower »

Stone Crush is my eternal enemy, but I think it holds a very important place in the game.

My personal favorite play style tends to be to have lots of mana and try for big late game swings - Blood Lust is by far my favorite card in the game and for it to hit hard you have to have a lot of mana in hand.

But there are some very effective and efficient repertoire builds that will end turns with minimal mana - Puppetmaster/Trance State/False Face is very effective combo- add in Lullaby or Ice Storm and its gets very deadly quick.

Outside of preparing a swing with Blood Lust, there is a very real argument that you should be ending your turn with 1 or 2 mana max in hand. If you have lots of left over mana at the end of your turn you should be building your repertoire differently.

Now, there are lots of cards that boost the value of Stone Crush, and counter drafting them is very important. There is a chance your opponent gets them or Stone Crush in a top deck situation, but again I will say try to end your turn with 0-2 mana in hand unless you have a very specific plan.
PurePearl

Post by PurePearl »

Pretty officially done with the mechanism now
Gaining bulks of mana is THE effective way of playing this game, you and your opponent would do that. And here comes magic, the stone crush is fliped on the board, 7dmg with 2 cost, very strategic fun. hope you enjoy this game Banning. Yeah right you can come up with plans to deal with it, but so does secret oath.
Oh right, forget to mention the greatest spell ever Growth. The first picker takes Growth and the game becomes a totally waste of time for first attacker. Really genius idea providing dozes of bullets but only one gun. The only possible counter spell might be Puppetmaster, but growth also works perfect with it through attacking with 5. so right, the growth is a even greater design.
HAL 9OOO

Post by HAL 9OOO »

I agree with LimitedPower : hoarding mana is a personal play style and not THE only effective way to win a game. I usually carry over only 1 or 2 manas on my next turn except if I plan to use them for a specific reason (protection against Mist of Pain, playing Blood Lust, ...). Therefore, Stone crush is not a major problem for me.

It happens from time to time that a game is shortened by this spell (when you deal huge damages on one turn) but it is not often enough that it represents a reason to change it.

So for me Stone crush is not a game breaker. It's a spell with a few combos that can be counterplayed like others. I think it has its place in the game even if it is just to be LimitedPower's Nemesis :twisted:
miodaibuki

Post by miodaibuki »

HAL 9OOO wrote: 05 May 2024, 09:08 I agree with LimitedPower : hoarding mana is a personal play style and not THE only effective way to win a game. I usually carry over only 1 or 2 manas on my next turn except if I plan to use them for a specific reason (protection against Mist of Pain, playing Blood Lust, ...). Therefore, Stone crush is not a major problem for me.

It happens from time to time that a game is shortened by this spell (when you deal huge damages on one turn) but it is not often enough that it represents a reason to change it.

So for me Stone crush is not a game breaker. It's a spell with a few combos that can be counterplayed like others. I think it has its place in the game even if it is just to be LimitedPower's Nemesis :twisted:
if you think drawing is for hoarding then you are really not getting this game
how do you guarantee how power cards for basic attack and related spells, without Rejuvenation?
3s and 4s are only 1/5 in this game
with this logic I can say the secret oath also has its place in the game, not devastating that much.
HAL 9OOO

Post by HAL 9OOO »

miodaibuki wrote: 08 May 2024, 12:15 if you think drawing is for hoarding then you are really not getting this game
With a ELO score over 500, a win rate of 75% and being the last Arena champion, let's assume I get the game. 😉
miodaibuki wrote: 08 May 2024, 12:15 how do you guarantee how power cards for basic attack and related spells, without Rejuvenation?

3s and 4s are only 1/5 in this game
I agree that drawing mana cards to be able to use your spells efficiently is a core mechanic of the game and a good way to win.

However, to have two of your spell slots taken by regeneration spells so you can draw lots of cards to try to get 3s or 4s and end your turn with more than 10 cards in your hand (what I call "hoarding") is not for me THE effective way to play the game.

You can do more damage over time by using these slots for damage spells or utility spells. I usually only have one regeneration spell in my repertoire and most of the time it's enough. I have won games without even needing one regeneration spell (those were fun uses of utility spells 😆).

I am not trying to find the best way to play. I am saying that this way of playing (hoarding) is a personal choice. And if you expose yourself to receive 10 damages from Stone Crush don't blame it on the game designer.
miodaibuki wrote: 08 May 2024, 12:15 with this logic I can say the secret oath also has its place in the game, not devastating that much
The problem with Secret Oath is how powerful are the combos that the spell has. There is only a few cards that work in combinaison with Stone Crush.
Last edited by HAL 9OOO on 18 May 2024, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
PoSack

Post by PoSack »

The card in my opinion is perfect. It keeps players on their toes and punishes those who overdraw. Play smart and around your opponents hand. It's easy to play around stone crush. Don't have cards in your hand? Perfect your opponent has an absolutely useless card they can't use. Sometimes doing less damage, casting less spells, and drawing less can win you the game.

Wiz on brudder.

Return to “Wizards of the Grimoire”