Latest update

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
golfergirl

Re: Latest update

Post by golfergirl »

This update is terrible. Nothing makes sense anymore. There's no explanations of what different things mean so you can set it up to play what you want. It took me a half hour to figure out how to set my preferences.
And the appearance looks like my games did 20 years ago. Not like today's,quality.
I just want to go play a single game of backgammon, but I have yet to figure out how to do that. I'm not inclined to even attempt to play it anymore. Just too much struggle to figure out what's going on.
SHKätzchen

Post by SHKätzchen »

I agree with everyone who says that this update has ruined the game. Can we have the old version back? At least as a quick "Play BGA Classic" option?

I concur that the graphics have gotten worse and the interface less intuitive, and that the other viewing options have equally 90's graphics. Everything was so slow and the game threw multiple errors. Getting the option to undo wasn't worth this.

Auto confirm after x seconds would help a lot with making a move and forgetting to hit confirm (which as a pale button, doesn't stand out).
Casual Elephant

Post by Casual Elephant »

I have found the exact opposite. MUCH faster and easier to play. I play on PC though. Mobile might be different.
DianaPiana

Post by DianaPiana »

agree-don't like new format AT ALL
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

In the last 2 years I played a lot of Backgammon (the old version) and a lot of backgammonmatchplay (the new version) side-by-side. Thus I am used to both versions and had to mentally switch back and forth all the time. Of course I have no problems to adapt now.

That being said, I was always finding the old version slower and more tedious than the new version. I mainly play on PC but it holds true for playing on Android too (cannot say anything about Iphones or tablets).

I do not need or want the move hints so I play with the option "One click move is on". If it is my move I need 3 clicks:
*) Click on the checker that moves the higher number
*) Click on the checker that moves the lower number
*) Click on the dice in the middle (to confirm my moves).

In the old version it was 4 clicks. It is even more efficient when I roll doubles where I need 5 clicks now (click on the 4 checkers, then the dice) instead of 8 clicks.

Regarding visuals: Isn't theme "Istanbul bazar" almost identical to the old version? Sorry that I do not remember very well. Personally I play theme "Classic".
maiwen22

Post by maiwen22 »

crispy116 wrote: 10 April 2024, 13:17 The latest update to Backgammon has made the game almost unplayable - it is now so slow to do everything, it has gone from being a quick 5 min game that was fun to fill some time, to an onerous slog of slow movement and button clicks everywhere.

The UX is terrible - and none of the 'options' in the settings that look like they might change this can be pressed, they are all greyed out.

This is no longer fun to play
HORRIBLE . Put The first version again, nobody want that.
WelcometoGaryIndiana

Post by WelcometoGaryIndiana »

I completely agree. The new rendition of backgammon has made me stop trying to play it. It's cumbersome and confusing, Bring the previous version back.
Driftwood5831

Post by Driftwood5831 »

Cant help but agree, new style of game *. Have stopped playing it.
Feel for the Moderators as they say they had a lot of requests for this update,
I see a lot more people here disagreeing with the new update

*Moderator edit: please refrain from swearing on BGA, this is a family-friendly platform.
ripwaxmaster

Post by ripwaxmaster »

I "unfriended" Backgammon (my favorite game) due to the latest release. I mean, I have to click "CONFIRM" every move???????? *?

*Moderator edit: please refrain from swearing on BGA, this is a family-friendly platform.
Paikea

Post by Paikea »

After having played quite some games now with the update, I would like to confirm/add the following pro´s and con´s:

positive:
- undo function
- size can be modified now
- doubling cube (though unfortunately not in Arena modus yet, maybe next season something like "first to 3 points" is possible, would definitely upgrade the competitive modus)

negative:
- very very slow gameplay... moves get sent to server and that takes way too much time (hello, we´re in the year 2024, aint we?)
- very bad graphics still (as others mentioned, reminds more of the 90s from a first year graphic design student who didnt attend many classes yet)
- sound disappears
- resign of games often not possible, my last game was stuck at 31% though it was close to the end)
- still way to many "pasches"
- progress not working at all lately - from the beginning 0%
- rolls are not shown in the history, its like blank
- extreme downtime because the added time for each move is way too much - games easily take 10-15min now together with the server sync problems and all the other issues

But at least there is some progress coming into this game, still the journey has just started I hope.
Last edited by Paikea on 12 April 2024, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Backgammon”