End Friendly!!!!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
BusterVA

End Friendly!!!!

Post by BusterVA »

I am so sick of “friendly”. To be honest I prefer playing that way. But I just won’t do it any more.

Had a recent game. Everyone agreed to friendly. Then one person started robbing me (after I was “nice” with several 7’s. I said something like “thought we were playing friendly!”. Then they said, “Well I don’t care”. They then proceeded to rob me the entire game – I eventually lost only ever making 3 points. The “bully” won. Not the first time something like that has happened. People agree, then ignore what they agreed to if it suits them.

Look, if you don’t want to play friendly, DON’T AGREE TO IT. Essentially that is cheating, but not technically based on game rules.

On many occasions when I say no to friendly but the others say yes, they both gang up on me the entire game. Robbing and blocking so I have no chance. Happens often.

Sometimes nothing is said in chat, I get the first 7, I rob someone, and then all hell breaks lose and people get furious that we are not at 3 points then I become robber material the entire game. I am just sick of it. 3 points is not an official rule!

It seems rare that everyone agrees to friendly and everyone abides by it. So I just don’t. I am over it.

Until a hard game option is introduced that forces friendly, I refuse to play that way. Stick to the coded rules. I think a "friendly option" is badly needed to keep the friendlies on their own side with the rest. Then everyone will be happy - no confusion, no frustration.
sopadequinoa

Re: End Friendly!!!!

Post by sopadequinoa »

BusterVA wrote: 10 April 2024, 17:43 I am so sick of “friendly”. To be honest I prefer playing that way. But I just won’t do it any more.

Had a recent game. Everyone agreed to friendly. Then one person started robbing me (after I was “nice” with several 7’s. I said something like “thought we were playing friendly!”. Then they said, “Well I don’t care”. They then proceeded to rob me the entire game – I eventually lost only ever making 3 points. The “bully” won. Not the first time something like that has happened. People agree, then ignore what they agreed to if it suits them.

Look, if you don’t want to play friendly, DON’T AGREE TO IT. Essentially that is cheating, but not technically based on game rules.

On many occasions when I say no to friendly but the others say yes, they both gang up on me the entire game. Robbing and blocking so I have no chance. Happens often.

Sometimes nothing is said in chat, I get the first 7, I rob someone, and then all hell breaks lose and people get furious that we are not at 3 points then I become robber material the entire game. I am just sick of it. 3 points is not an official rule!

It seems rare that everyone agrees to friendly and everyone abides by it. So I just don’t. I am over it.

Until a hard game option is introduced that forces friendly, I refuse to play that way. Stick to the coded rules. I think a "friendly option" is badly needed to keep the friendlies on their own side with the rest. Then everyone will be happy - no confusion, no frustration.
I agree wholeheartedly. Feel free to add me as a friend and play by the regular rules. I sometimes play with my boyfriend here on BGA as well and we both don't like the friendly robber rule. So that's already 3 of us (we do play 4 player games though).

Also see this topic: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 6&start=40
FromLardToHard

Post by FromLardToHard »

I think there should be a Friendly Robber button or a vote style. Needs to be all agree and it is enforced. Voting is also done privately so no one can be targeted for saying No to Friendly Robber.
Ashli-Wiedmer

Post by Ashli-Wiedmer »

I definitely prefer playing with the friendly robber, but definitely people agree to it and then don't follow through. I really hope they add it as a variant so it can be enforced, and also so people who don't want to play with it can set it that way.

Eta; I figured it's worth noting that friendly robber is an official variant in the Catan rule book from one of the expansions.
Sandpiper Nolo

Post by Sandpiper Nolo »

I agree with your complaint about friendly, but would also add that playing friendly further benefits people who stockpile roads or development cards. Imagine someone who has built two stretches of four roads, separated by one empty space -- almost 9 connected roads. They could also have five or six development cards.

But under the "rules" of friendly robber, I can't steal from them. It's silly.

Abolish friendly!

Return to “Catan”