If anyone has a clear understanding of Gaia Project's racial draft criteria, please let me know.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
yozakuraquartette

If anyone has a clear understanding of Gaia Project's racial draft criteria, please let me know.

Post by yozakuraquartette »

Even if multiple players bid the same number of points for the same race, the bid will be automatically awarded to one of the players. I don't think that's an acceptable rule in the first place, but if it is decided without knowing why, the bidding criteria for the game will not be established.
Also, I don't know which rule is correct in BGA: should I bid for multiple races or just one race?
In the case of normal board game rules, if there are bids with the same number of points, the bids for that race will be bid again, so the rules of official board games are completely useless.
Kayvon

Re: If anyone has a clear understanding of Gaia Project's racial draft criteria, please let me know.

Post by Kayvon »

Look at the "How to Play" section at the bottom of each page. It has a good description and an example of how the bidding system works.

You will almost definitely want to provide maximum bids on multiple factions. That's a key misunderstanding: You're providing a maximum bid, not an actual bid. Once all players provide maximum bids, the actual bidding occurs automatically on your behalf. The basic idea is that you'll try to bid on the "best deal" as defined by the current bids and your maximum bid. But, again, you should read the description in the How to Play section.
yozakuraquartette

Re: If anyone has a clear understanding of Gaia Project's racial draft criteria, please let me know.

I read it, but I don't understand it.
I thought that an auction was simply a matter of bidding by the person who submitted the highest bid, but as I read the rules, there is a maximum bid amount for the race and the current bid amount for the player, and there is a difference between "race" and "player's". ``There are two types of main axis, and my head is confused.
Furthermore, the part in the example that says "I intend to bid up to 27" makes it difficult to understand how to bid when playing. (I felt like it was a specification where you could only bid VP once for every race)
yozakuraquartette

In the first place, even though you are bidding on all races at the same time, the part that says "Each player automatically bids to the faction with the largest difference between the faction's current bid amount and that player's maximum bid amount." is meaningless.
This is because, even though the auctions for all races are supposed to be running at the same time, "Each player will automatically bid to the faction with the largest difference between the faction's current bid and that player's maximum bid." It sounds like one race's auction is interfering with another race's bids.

If each player bids how many vp for each race, the result would be something like this. I would like you to explain this without omitting the entire process.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

yozakuraquartette wrote: 14 April 2024, 12:01 In the first place, even though you are bidding on all races at the same time, the part that says "Each player automatically bids to the faction with the largest difference between the faction's current bid amount and that player's maximum bid amount." is meaningless.
Except it's not meaningless. Understanding that sentence is the key to understanding how the auction works.
yozakuraquartette wrote: 14 April 2024, 12:01even though the auctions for all races are supposed to be running at the same time
That's not true. The auction doesn't even start until you have placed your maximum bid for everything. I think that's the part you may be overlooking, which is causing your confusion.

Have you ever used eBay? Ever noticed how the amount you enter for your "maximum bid" is often quite higher than what you end up paying? It's because you're not manually bidding, but rather giving the system a maximum amount that it may bid on your behalf. Gaia Project's automatic bidding works the same way, except it requires players to give maximum bids for all races at once. Once everyone submits their maximums, which aren't their actual bids, then the auction starts.

When the auction starts, players take turns bidding. The bidding is performed automatically, so you don't type in a number each time. The automation places a bid for you based on the current amount of all bids. You'll bid on the faction with the biggest difference between its current bid and the maximum bid you placed for it earlier. (That's why the sentence at the beginning is so important!) As the auction continues, you may be outbid on one faction and potentially change to another. That can happen several times during the auction as players take turns bidding, but it all happens instantaneously and is explained in the log.

The How to Play section has a full example of all this. No one is "omitting the entire process" from that explanation, but it's important to read it closely to distinguish the automated portion from the one-time maximum bid portion. It's also critical to understand that the "maximum amount I would be willing to bid" is not a bid in and of itself.

Return to “Gaia Project”