Feature request - Add the standard BGA undo with confirm countdown option.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Kyle Richardson

Feature request - Add the standard BGA undo with confirm countdown option.

Post by Kyle Richardson »

When placing meeples on a small screen with so many dots placement options per tile, mistakes happen. Please add the standard BGA dropdown option for undo/confirm to this game (like the way BGA has Ark Nova designed).
Meeplelowda

Re: Feature request - Add the standard BGA undo with confirm countdown option.

Post by Meeplelowda »

Kyle Richardson wrote: 16 April 2024, 17:39 When placing meeples on a small screen with so many dots placement options per tile, mistakes happen. Please add the standard BGA dropdown option for undo/confirm to this game (like the way BGA has Ark Nova designed).
This is a great summary about adding an undo function on BGA written by a dev that I can't improve upon:
Kayvon wrote: 26 February 2024, 16:17
Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27 Why are the inclusion of undo buttons so random and sporadic over the games on here?
Undo needs to be implemented individually for every game. It's not a box you check to just make it happen. Furthermore, undo is tricky to implement correctly and very bug prone. As such, it's often avoided by game developers.
Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27Either commit to allowing rectons to be made, or ban them over the entire site unless a game specifically allows for it in the rules.
Wish granted?
Official BGA policy states that undo should be avoided in games.
"As a rule of thumb, on BGA we advise you to not undo moves. Undo are painful for opponents, in real world and online. Some players may also use Undo to 'test' situations while they should just think instead. In many cases, proposing an 'Undo' means also adding an extra step, which is not good for the game interface."
See https://boardgamearena.com/doc/BGA_Undo_policy
Leard wrote: 18 December 2023, 14:27Since BGA seems to be going to allowing them, why doesn't this game have one?
In summary:
1) Undo isn't encouraged
2) And it's not trivial to implement

I developed Gaia Project and got a similar request. I don't want to volunteer a dozen hours to implement a feature that I don't feel is needed and may introduce tons of bugs.

Return to “Carcassonne”