Eagle unbalanced

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Leslan

Eagle unbalanced

Post by Leslan »

Hello everyone

Is it just me who feels the eagles are a totally unfair and far too strong animal in this game?
The problem is not the extra action, but that it can be played with another animal which allows you to do a project right after and create tricks that are not only unpredictable but much too strong. An eagle, a rhino, a 5 CP project is too much.
Balancing the eagle with a new condition: "must be played alone" would be a good way to counter this. We couldn't play another animal at the same time as an eagle. That would win 8 tickets and one more action, it's more than enough in my opinion.

(Translate with Google)
greenjacket124

Re: Eagle unbalanced

Post by greenjacket124 »

No, it's really not unbalanced at all. It requires requires upgrading at least one card. And if you're able to combo your animals like that, more power to you.
RoyalRook

Post by RoyalRook »

Yes, you are 100% correct, eagle and some of the final scoring cards are the worst part about this game. It's just not fair, and nothing can really counter it once in hand. When equally matched, those factors over powers all your careful plannings. There are better games out there though ;) Just enjoy this one as it is.
Azoken

Post by Azoken »

Truth is... eagles are more flashy than overpowered. They are strong for sure don't misunderstand me, but they cost something. They don't win alone and lots of game are being lost with an eagle in hand that you won't even notice. Because when they win, you sure do notice :D.

Games are long and most of the time you can secure a win before they go and steal it.

At least in 1v1.
Leander Quest

Post by Leander Quest »

Eagles are tricky. "One extra turn" seems strong, but I fell for it twice...by buying an enclosure for my early hand card, paying for the eagle without a zoo partnership and not finding any other birds of prey for my aviary etc.
boardgamesmue

Post by boardgamesmue »

Just lost another game due to one having both eagles (one already at starting hand) and even the bear (also starting hand), so 3 additional turns. Yes you can loose with eagle, but especially on how the game triggers the last round those extra turns are even more overpowered. You are ahead most of the time and the extra turns just crash you again.

At least add an option for some game modes to exclude those cards like it's done on Wingspan for example with some birds.
greenjacket124

Post by greenjacket124 »

boardgamesmue wrote: 22 April 2024, 21:50 Just lost another game due to one having both eagles (one already at starting hand) and even the bear (also starting hand), so 3 additional turns. Yes you can loose with eagle, but especially on how the game triggers the last round those extra turns are even more overpowered. You are ahead most of the time and the extra turns just crash you again.

At least add an option for some game modes to exclude those cards like it's done on Wingspan for example with some birds.
Well, yea, you lost that one, but it's not because of eagles being overpowered.
boardgamesmue

Post by boardgamesmue »

greenjacket124 wrote: 23 April 2024, 00:30
boardgamesmue wrote: 22 April 2024, 21:50 Just lost another game due to one having both eagles (one already at starting hand) and even the bear (also starting hand), so 3 additional turns. Yes you can loose with eagle, but especially on how the game triggers the last round those extra turns are even more overpowered. You are ahead most of the time and the extra turns just crash you again.

Can you add arguments to your claim?
greenjacket124

Post by greenjacket124 »

boardgamesmue wrote: 23 April 2024, 09:47

Yea, that's easy enough. Eagles and bears have high appeal, so your opponent having multiple got them a lot of points. But, again, not because a single one is overpowered.
boardgamesmue

Post by boardgamesmue »

greenjacket124 wrote: 23 April 2024, 13:51
boardgamesmue wrote: 23 April 2024, 09:47

Yea, that's easy enough. Eagles and bears have high appeal, so your opponent having multiple got them a lot of points. But, again, not because a single one is overpowered.
I beg to differ, having an extra turn is always very powerful especially when the last round is triggered. Having even more additional turns pushes this even higher. In a mostly balanced game where both players ramp up at the same speed, the one with a more powerful (due to animals + association) has a big advantage to gain more points at once.

Other animals have even higher appeal or other bonuses like reputation or points, but the extra turns exceed those.

If you find a replay where two players with the same skill level play and the one without extra turns easily wins,I would be happy to rethink my assumption.

If they are not overpowered, would you even debate the tier lists for the cards that are well known?

Return to “Ark Nova”