Is there any recourse to get elo back when the server stops working and I get kicked?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
nabby101

Is there any recourse to get elo back when the server stops working and I get kicked?

Post by nabby101 »

I just had a game of Terraforming Mars where I was in good shape to win, when Boardgame Arena stopped working for me.

The server stopped responding, and when I tried to refresh, I got the message that the website could not be reached. I opened other websites while I was waiting, to see if it was my internet, but they all worked. I tried through a separate browser, and even the app on my phone, but none of them worked. None of the other websites I tried had issues at that time (Youtube, Twitch, Reddit, Gmail).

After 5 minutes or so, it started working again, but by then, my opponent had kicked me for inactivity.

This is very frustrating, since I got a loss to a much lower rated player and an additional abandonment penalty, dropping me from rank 30 to 80, and now I have to win like 5+ games in a row to make up for the lost elo.

Is there any way to report specific games to see if there was some server error? The page with the BGA server status shows no issues, but clearly it wasn't an internet or browser issue for me. Do people do DDoS attacks on here? It certainly was very specific at a point where I was winning, and lasted only long enough for me to be kicked from the game.

This is the game in question.
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=504504476
RobertBr

Re: Is there any recourse to get elo back when the server stops working and I get kicked?

Post by RobertBr »

The upshot is that if things go wrong at a noticeable level BGA tries to revert penalties but there appear to be practical limitations. Previous posts suggest that if you contact the admins they are sympathetic to potential problems and may be able to assist you.

However, as BGA makes clear ad nauseum, the forums are not a method for contacting them.

Return to “Discussions”