Turn Order Advantage

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Lawgikill

Turn Order Advantage

Post by Lawgikill »

How do we deal with the fact that turn order is an issue for this game? The first player gains an advantage regardless of player count. As an example, in a 4 player game, if the game is ended by the 2nd player, players 3 and 4 don't get the same number of turns. Player 1 will always get the maximum number of turns.

Having arbitrary turn order shouldn't be consequential like this. Can you still win as the last player? Sure. But you need to do so with 1 less turn. That's not fair.
Lawgikill

Re: Turn Order Advantage

Post by Lawgikill »

Nix this. I just looked to see if I could find a developer comment about it for this game. They gave one!
Equal turns was something we thought long and hard about before opting for the immediate end. Keep in mind that equal turns does not necessarily mean equal impact or even equal number of actions in this game. Also, with equal turns, the last player always gets to determine the final state of the board before scoring area control. With an immediate end, any player can do that.

Ultimately, I do think the immediate end creates more memorable moments, too. Puzzling out how to trigger scoring and end the game on your turn through some crazy combo of actions when nobody else thought you could do it, is an amazing feeling.
I'm totally good with it then. Disregard my initial complaint.
RicardoRix

Re: Turn Order Advantage

Post by RicardoRix »

I played 1 game of wolves 5-player. I romped home to an easy victory, because AFAIK - I had the final turn.
The way the game works, you can build up to get extra actions fairly easily. So the last turn, you can get to 3 or 4 actions, maybe even 5.

If you play last to trigger the end game, which is easy to see happening. You can pick and choose the regions easily with movement and maximise all of your scoring potential. The 3 round of scoring is the worth the most too. It's just overwhelming too powerful.
You'd have to persuade me otherwise to play again with so many awesome game here to try on BGA.

The game though, looks great and plays really well. It's proper top draw quality design and play experience. But that last turn - wow, a huge let down if you like a competitive game and who wins. Unfortunately for me, that's my #1 requirement.

Return to “The Wolves”