Game Limits

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Sharley23

Game Limits

Post by Sharley23 »

Does BGA impose a limit on how many games a player can participate in at the same time?

If it doesn't, it should.

I'm currently on day 53 of a game that IRL is a 30 min card game. A player has in excess of 300+ open games, which means it is taking them 3-5 days to play a turn. The game is miserable and honestly, it's infuriating.

I appreciate player turn limits exist for a reason... create a table with shorter turns etc etc BUT how is this any different to the other Tom Foolery that goes on here, like someone winding the clock down for example.
Remkar

Re: Game Limits

Post by Remkar »

Sharley23 wrote: 22 May 2024, 15:39 Does BGA impose a limit on how many games a player can participate in at the same time?

If it doesn't, it should.

I'm currently on day 53 of a game that IRL is a 30 min card game. A player has in excess of 300+ open games, which means it is taking them 3-5 days to play a turn. The game is miserable and honestly, it's infuriating.

I appreciate player turn limits exist for a reason... create a table with shorter turns etc etc BUT how is this any different to the other Tom Foolery that goes on here, like someone winding the clock down etc.
It does, but it increases by 1 for every game you finish (I believe).

BUT, this doesn't look like an issue with the player, but an issue of you choosing a game speed you're not happy with.

I looked at the game, and it's a 4 player game set to a speed of 1 turn every 2 days. That means that the expectation is every player plays once about every 8 days.

The player you are complaining about has not gone over time yet.

This is the slowest time setting possible (besides friendly games with no time limit). If you want faster games, choose faster game settings and avoid those ultra slow game settings (and make sure you're only playing with people with max karma).

Then, if somebody doesn't play quickly, you can at least boot them in a couple of days, give them a karma hit, and start a new game.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

If the problem is the time a player takes to make a move, why limit the number of tables a player can participate in? Why not limit the time a player can take to make a move, since that is the issue? Oh, wait, it's already there. Whenever you think a player is taking to long, you can expel them from the game, if they have used up their allotted time. If they haven't then you should join tables where the allotted time for each player is something you can accept.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Sharley23 wrote: 22 May 2024, 15:39 I'm currently on day 53 of a game that IRL is a 30 min card game. A player has in excess of 300+ open games, which means it is taking them 3-5 days to play a turn. The game is miserable and honestly, it's infuriating.
If you really don't want to continue you always have option of quitting (from the menu on the top right). You will take a penalty but its not a major one for a single case.
Sharley23

Post by Sharley23 »

Jellby wrote: 22 May 2024, 15:49 If the problem is the time a player takes to make a move, why limit the number of tables a player can participate in? Why not limit the time a player can take to make a move, since that is the issue? Oh, wait, it's already there. Whenever you think a player is taking to long, you can expel them from the game, if they have used up their allotted time. If they haven't then you should join tables where the allotted time for each player is something you can accept.
Yep, as I said, I know you can set turn limits. It's not always that straight forward when you're joining a game though.

My problem is player behaviour. No matter the time limit is, playing your turn in a timely manner is basic game etiquette.

I can see no logical reason why a person would choose to play over 300+ games at once. Unless their intention is to quickly gain stats, or frustrate other players to the point of distraction. It is easier to win if your opponents have checked out. I'd hazard a guess it's the latter.

Either way, It's no different to those who run their clocks down. It's poor form.
JimBut

Post by JimBut »

No matter the time limit is, playing your turn in a timely manner is basic game etiquette.
A "timely manner" depends on the time limit though.

You have been over time in 7 of 123 recent games at the time of this post meaning you go over time in 5% of games. The player you're complaining about has been over time in 2 out of 753 games - which is 0.2%. They are much less likely to go over time than you are.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 10:58 Either way, It's no different to those who run their clocks down. It's poor form.
"Running your clock down" is just another way of saying taking all the time your are allotted for your turn. That's how timers work. Each player is free to take as much time as you want up to that limit. If you feel people are taking too long, choose shorter times. Yes, your player pool may be smaller, but that's the trade-off. I could argue that it's poor form to insist that someone take their turn faster than they want to, when the conditions of the game are such that a particular time limit per turn has been agreed in advance (to put it another way, if you started complaining that your opponent in a real-life live tournament for taking too long with their turns and it was poor form, etc. when they were within the bounds of the timer, I can't imagine anyone would think your behaviour was ok). Granted, you're not doing it to their face, but still. I like a snappy game too, it's why I only take games of a certain time limit (though I'm probably somewhat more flexible about booting people who exceed their time limits too), but I will respect and defend the right of others to take any or all of the time they are given.

Additionally, playing a large number of games does not necessarily mean that a player doesn't take their turns in a timely manner. This has been discussed on the forums before at length (see https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32142), so I'm not going to get into that argument here.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 10:58 Yep, as I said, I know you can set turn limits. It's not always that straight forward when you're joining a game though.
I don't know what you mean. Whenever I join a game I can easily see what the time settings are, it is quite straightforward to me.
My problem is player behaviour. No matter the time limit is, playing your turn in a timely manner is basic game etiquette.
Right, and that can't be solved by setting a limitation on the number of simultaneous games. That has nothing to do with the "problem" you're experiencing.
I can see no logical reason why a person would choose to play over 300+ games at once.
That you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It could be lots of games with friends (no time limit) or solo games. It could be lots of games with very short turns, so they can play 100 turns in a few minutes. It could be really "obsessed" people who do nothing but play on BGA all day long.

Again, your problem is not the amount of games, but the time taken for a turn. Try to address this instead of finding some arbitrary relationship.
Sharley23

Post by Sharley23 »

Jellby wrote: 23 May 2024, 12:50
Sharley23 wrote: 23 May 2024, 10:58 Yep, as I said, I know you can set turn limits. It's not always that straight forward when you're joining a game though.
I don't know what you mean. Whenever I join a game I can easily see what the time settings are, it is quite straightforward to me.
Right, and that can't be solved by setting a limitation on the number of simultaneous games. That has nothing to do with the "problem" you're experiencing.
I can see no logical reason why a person would choose to play over 300+ games at once.
That you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It could be lots of games with friends (no time limit) or solo games. It could be lots of games with very short turns, so they can play 100 turns in a few minutes. It could be really "obsessed" people who do nothing but play on BGA all day long.

Again, your problem is not the amount of games, but the time taken for a turn. Try to address this instead of finding some arbitrary relationship.
You seem irritated?

I feel like I've made my issue clear enough. but as you appear to be relabelling my problem for me, perhaps i haven't communicated effectively enough.

Anyhoo, thanks for your responses.
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

Passive agressive answer won't help you rallying people on your cause.

Your 'issues' are just not issues at all.
You are playing agaisnt someone who respect the rules about time limit and you are not happy about it.
And you blame this on the number of games he is playing despite this having no relation with in game clocks.

Your only point is that you won't do that, so he shouldn't. Which, I'm sorry to say, no one will find it valid.

Again, nothing prevent you to start other games, and set shorter timers. You can also give your opponent a red thumb if you really dislike playing against him because of that.

Return to “Discussions”