Why do people queue for a game and then decline to start?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
olyellah

Why do people queue for a game and then decline to start?

Post by olyellah »

Just went through (10) attempted game starts where people just decline to start? Why even queue if you just refuse to play? Am I missing something here?
Edit; miscounted
AIEJBCKL

Re: Why do people queue for a game and then decline to start?

Post by AIEJBCKL »

Perhaps people do not want to play with others with low reputation, or they don't like some of the variants or the number of players, and they don't know how to avoid them in settings, I guess
Alison MacPrickle

Post by Alison MacPrickle »

I'm afraid that I do this all the time, because I won't play with anyone that has less than 100% reputation. So many people quit just because they are losing, or take more than their allotted time, and with a long game like Catan that's just so frustrating. I am trying to find other like-minded Catan players.
IceChamber

Post by IceChamber »

Ok I agree with like a 70% or 60% but I normally have a 100% rep, but have fallen down to 90% at times because of internet issues. But I quickly get it back up.
marknibb

Post by marknibb »

perhaps we need to allow "abandon" without penalty if people change the rules (choose LT3 no Robber) after pairings come up. This in effect is changing the rules after placing initial settlements. Or feel free to red thumb who make those agreements?
JackHH

Post by JackHH »

olyellah wrote: 25 May 2024, 00:30 Just went through (10) attempted game starts where people just decline to start? Why even queue if you just refuse to play? Am I missing something here?
Edit; miscounted
Your reputation is 50. That is very low, and probably an indicator to most players that they will have a bad time playing with you. Either:

- They feel like they can't use the robber against you because you might complain/quit
- If they have a streak of good luck, you will complain/quit
- The only way the game will get to completion is if you win XD

Not so good for a prospective opponent is it?

Try completing more games, being coperative and friendly in the chat to build your reputation back up. Remember that people play on here for fun, so being honest, and friend and being a good loser are all important :)
olyellah

Post by olyellah »

JackHH wrote: 31 May 2024, 16:41
olyellah wrote: 25 May 2024, 00:30 Just went through (10) attempted game starts where people just decline to start? Why even queue if you just refuse to play? Am I missing something here?
Edit; miscounted
Your reputation is 50. That is very low, and probably an indicator to most players that they will have a bad time playing with you. Either:

- They feel like they can't use the robber against you because you might complain/quit
- If they have a streak of good luck, you will complain/quit
- The only way the game will get to completion is if you win XD

Not so good for a prospective opponent is it?

Try completing more games, being coperative and friendly in the chat to build your reputation back up. Remember that people play on here for fun, so being honest, and friend and being a good loser are all important :)

My reputation took a MASSIVE hit after the servers jerked me around multiple times- causing me to "quit" games against my will. The game would stop working and then the entire website would crash. I never got my ELO/rep back from the website even after making a bug report. I then got annoyed and called someone a cry baby after they sat there whining the entire game and I was the one who got moderated, which I do not agree with, but whatever.

Return to “Catan”