Page 1 of 1
Why! Why play like Gin Rummy
Posted: 19 March 2026, 05:08
by tmic
Hi
In case there is a reason that hasn't occurred to me.....
I play regular rummy as I do NOT like gin rummy. I Hate the play style of holding all (or as much as you can) until you can go out.
So, if that is the style of play you like, WHY would you play regular rummy???
Re: Why! Why play like Gin Rummy
Posted: 22 March 2026, 14:33
by neurosquid
The strategic reason is when you lay out cards early it gives opponents a chance to add onto them and/or gives them information about what’s left in the deck.
For example, if I play a set of three 7s (club, diamond, heart) then my opponent might a) have a 6 and 8 of clubs and now know that they won’t be able to make a run with that, or b) if they have the 7 of spades they’re now going to add it to the set instead of potentially discarding it which gives me the opportunity to play it.
That’s where a bit of push your luck can come into Rummy where you need to balance the potential advantage of waiting to play cards with the potential of your opponent going out and your hand being counted against you.
Re: Why! Why play like Gin Rummy
Posted: 02 October 2026, 21:38
by Fl1cka
It's a totally valid strategy. That said, I mark people who play that way as people I don't want to play with ever again. Because I find Gin rummy boring. That's why I'm not playing it. So even though it's a valid strategy, it makes me not enjoy the game.