Page 1 of 1
The 'losing' sound effect
Posted: 20 August 2026, 18:40
by Tokoloshe79
Has anyone else experience a change in the end of game sound effects? I now get the 'losing' sound even if, as per the example below, I finished 2nd of 4 players and my Elo rating increases...
https://boardgamearena.com/tableview?table=902413361
Previously a mid-table finish a game gave a neutral sound effect. Any reason for this odd change?
Re: The 'losing' sound effect
Posted: 20 August 2026, 22:47
by threejuices
I've been experiencing the same thing recently, it's really throwing me off. I even checked and resaved my sound preferences (Win 1 for winning a game, Fail for losing a game, and Victory for neutral end of a game), but I still get Fail playing for all win outcomes except for a 1st place win. Considering the fact that neutral outcome is still a setting in the sound preferences, I'd say it's probably a recent bug.
Re: The 'losing' sound effect
Posted: 20 August 2026, 23:14
by tbhp
I play with sounds off but personally I see any second place finish as a loss (I mean it’s not a win so how else would you call it).
I never noticed there was a neutral option in the settings. It suggests either it’s a bug, or is a deliberate change and they just forgot that neutral is still in the options.
Re: The 'losing' sound effect
Posted: 21 August 2026, 00:09
by Archisian
You placed 2nd out of 4 players? Well, you lost. Plain and simple.
In terms of sound effects, you can just mute the sounds. I think it would be a bit harsh for the 3 loser (4th place) to be the only one to hear the losing sound effect.
Re: The 'losing' sound effect
Posted: 25 August 2026, 12:13
by melware94
I absolutely agree, if you won elo it's not exactly a loss, 2nd place is often good specially in a 5-10 players game, I prefer how it worked before
Re: The 'losing' sound effect
Posted: 25 August 2026, 13:08
by tbhp
melware94 wrote: ↑25 August 2026, 12:13
I absolutely agree, if you won elo it's not exactly a loss, 2nd place is often good specially in a 5-10 players game, I prefer how it worked before
Those are separate questions, "are you in some ways happy with the result" and "is the result a loss".
If I'm in a tournament where two players qualify then obviously I'm gonna be happy that I qualified from being second. But that doesn't change that the result is a loss, and I'm not gonna be happy that I lost.