Page 1 of 1

Valid clue or my mistake?

Posted: 29 September 2026, 12:42
by Grexponential
Hello everyone,

today I had the following situation. It's the start of the game (4player, normal, flambs on, black powder off, convention: Finesse) and I (player A) have to clue.
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=923395794

The cards are as follows:
B: b1 w1 w1 r5
C: y3 y2 b4 y2
D: g4 b3 b1 w2

A, B, D are master players, C is expert

In order to get B to play both b1 and w1, I clue 2 to D.
B plays finesse b1, C discards (which shows that they see that it's not a double bluff), D bombs w2.

After that, a heated discussion started, that my clue didn't make any sense, that I should've clued color, and that I should admit to have made a mistake and stop arguing.

As you can see, I still don't want to stop arguing, but I'm more than willing to admit a mistake, if the forum judges deem it as so.

My train of thought was: "I don't want to clue 1s, because I don't want to violate GTP. If I clue white to D, I can bluff b1 but won't get w1, but I still protect w2 from being discarded.
However, if I clue 2 to D, B plays finesse (b1) and worries because it doesn't connect to w2, C does something unrelated, D sees that there is a second 1 behind finesse and waits one round. After that, B plays second position and then D can play their 2. One clue -> three cards."

Was my idea too convoluted? Or was my clue illegal, since the convention was set to Finesse and not Layered Finesse?
Maybe I should've clued 1's and fixed it later by clueing white?

Thank you for your feedback

(I've tried to attach an image, but it didn't work.)

Re: Valid clue or my mistake?

Posted: 29 September 2026, 13:45
by _mg6maciej_
If the convention was set as Finesse and not Layered Finesse, which most masters play, then the clue is an obvious blunder.

This is called clandestine and is a type of layered finesse.