Page 1 of 1

No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 02 October 2026, 04:09
by MrMister
I bought the physical game about a month ago and I have played with the family 4 or 5 times, so I decided to give it a try on BGA. Its almost impossible to find a match with people using the base game mode with peaceable mode turned on. Do that many people really want to play with that turned off?

Even people where it's their "first game" want it turned off. I always wondered, after buying the physical game, why they even introduced this element in the game. Its only 10 or so cards and to me it serves no purpose, other than to disrupt players with a snicker or laugh, instead of just everyone focusing more on skill than luck.(meaning when/how the cards come up is already dependent on luck and now we are adding even more luck to the game - which I've never been a fan of. I would rather people win or lose more by planning/skill and yes a little luck, instead of their entire action order of cards be messed up because someone just happened to play a negative effect on you).

The other thing that I am a little curious about - is why is there not more customization for arena? Everyone can be on the same map but I was kind of bummed when I saw it was always just 1v1 instead of 3 or 4 players, or peacable or not.. or only marine worlds.... When people are playing in tournaments, like I have seen on youtube (like with sam narrating) - theres 4 people playing - and on peaceable mode as well). I guess I feel like this arena should mimci that and that the game shines more with 3 or 4 people versus 1v1. Someone can get all the "best" cards and there is less strategy and planning than if you have to work around 3 or 4 opponents - which I feel like is in the best spirit of the game. I know a lot of people evidently like 1v1 it's just that I wish there was more customization. You don't have to have every game be the same for arena (i agree with same map though).

Thoughts?

Re: No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 02 October 2026, 10:33
by Tisaac
MrMister wrote: ↑02 October 2026, 04:09 I bought the physical game about a month ago and I have played with the family 4 or 5 times, so I decided to give it a try on BGA. Its almost impossible to find a match with people using the base game mode with peaceable mode turned on. Do that many people really want to play with that turned off?

Even people where it's their "first game" want it turned off. I always wondered, after buying the physical game, why they even introduced this element in the game. Its only 10 or so cards and to me it serves no purpose, other than to disrupt players with a snicker or laugh, instead of just everyone focusing more on skill than luck.(meaning when/how the cards come up is already dependent on luck and now we are adding even more luck to the game - which I've never been a fan of. I would rather people win or lose more by planning/skill and yes a little luck, instead of their entire action order of cards be messed up because someone just happened to play a negative effect on you).

The other thing that I am a little curious about - is why is there not more customization for arena? Everyone can be on the same map but I was kind of bummed when I saw it was always just 1v1 instead of 3 or 4 players, or peacable or not.. or only marine worlds.... When people are playing in tournaments, like I have seen on youtube (like with sam narrating) - theres 4 people playing - and on peaceable mode as well). I guess I feel like this arena should mimci that and that the game shines more with 3 or 4 people versus 1v1. Someone can get all the "best" cards and there is less strategy and planning than if you have to work around 3 or 4 opponents - which I feel like is in the best spirit of the game. I know a lot of people evidently like 1v1 it's just that I wish there was more customization. You don't have to have every game be the same for arena (i agree with same map though).

Thoughts?
Only 5% of table are with peaceful mode on so yeah, almost no one wants to play Peaceful mode indeed.
Arena has a fixed settings, otherwise you can't really compare players. If you don't like the current format, try becoming a Guru (by playing a bunch of game, even non arena games counts) and then you can have a vote in the format for the next season.

Re: No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 02 October 2026, 10:43
by Monkeyunit
There are two reasons people prefer non-peacefull mode. ( Which most consider the variant between the two options)

1: The cards that target players with negative effects are a way to balance the game. They can only be used against the player with the most points ( appeal or CP). Its a way for the others players to catch up, and something the player in the lead has to take into account.
(Wether this person is actually in the lead is another question.)

2: Some of the peacefull option are very OP, like the two snakes. In non-peacefull they can steal opponents action, but only when they are ahead and only up to strenght 3. In peacefull they simply give you determination ( extra action) for a very low cost compared to the Eagles.

Arena always being 2 player is because it removes a bit of randomness. No kingmaking etc.
1 on 1 makes the tempo of the game a much bigger aspect and something you really need to focus on.
In 3 of 4 player game you have much less impact on the speed of the game.

Re: No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 02 October 2026, 14:32
by MrMister
Monkeyunit wrote: ↑02 October 2026, 10:43 There are two reasons people prefer non-peacefull mode. ( Which most consider the variant between the two options)

1: The cards that target players with negative effects are a way to balance the game. They can only be used against the player with the most points ( appeal or CP). Its a way for the others players to catch up, and something the player in the lead has to take into account.
(Wether this person is actually in the lead is another question.)

2: Some of the peacefull option are very OP, like the two snakes. In non-peacefull they can steal opponents action, but only when they are ahead and only up to strenght 3. In peacefull they simply give you determination ( extra action) for a very low cost compared to the Eagles.

Arena always being 2 player is because it removes a bit of randomness. No kingmaking etc.
1 on 1 makes the tempo of the game a much bigger aspect and something you really need to focus on.
In 3 of 4 player game you have much less impact on the speed of the game.
My problems with this mechanism, is that if someone is 1 appeal ahead of everyone else and/or 1 CP then they are technically in the "lead" but not dominating or anything like that. Its basically tied. I feel like "ahead in appeal and/or CP" needs to be defined by more than 1. Maybe a certain threshold lead would have been a better choice in the design and only after a certain number of breaks. That's pretty bad that you can do a hypnosis on someone on the first round. I feel like that's a miss on the designers part.

As far as 1v1, I guess I frown upon it a bit more because I experienced losing badly in Terraforming Mars by someone getting all the good "blue" cards and if there were more people in the game, those cards are more spread out and there's more balance(potentially) and thus you have to strategize a bit more. I know that game doesn't have as many cards nor are they that diverse as Ark Nova but potentially you could have 1 person get both rhinos for base projects and draw up the other CP projects and the other person gets leftovers. Then its more about sheer luck than skill.. and arena is supposed to be about skill... so thats where I was going with my thoughts.

As a side note - I see people starting games as their "First Game" when if you look at their profile, theyve played 20. I feel like you shouldnt be able to start a first game in that game. Also, if you are starting your first game or beginner - you shoujld be able to customize it so someone with a 300 ELO cant join your game. Thats not a good game experience.

Re: No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 02 October 2026, 15:40
by FrankJones
MrMister wrote: ↑02 October 2026, 14:32

As a side note - I see people starting games as their "First Game" when if you look at their profile, theyve played 20. I feel like you shouldnt be able to start a first game in that game. Also, if you are starting your first game or beginner - you shoujld be able to customize it so someone with a 300 ELO cant join your game. Thats not a good game experience.
You can customize it to avoid having a 300 Elo player as your opponent. You can filter it to "beginners only", or "Intermediates only", etc.

Re: No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 02 October 2026, 16:00
by MrMister
FrankJones wrote: ↑02 October 2026, 15:40
MrMister wrote: ↑02 October 2026, 14:32

As a side note - I see people starting games as their "First Game" when if you look at their profile, theyve played 20. I feel like you shouldnt be able to start a first game in that game. Also, if you are starting your first game or beginner - you shoujld be able to customize it so someone with a 300 ELO cant join your game. Thats not a good game experience.
You can customize it to avoid having a 300 Elo player as your opponent. You can filter it to "beginners only", or "Intermediates only", etc.
thats good to know. thank you.

Re: No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 03 October 2026, 00:54
by Thorin99
If I'm setting up a game I always pick peace and do get players pretty quickly (turn based). Although I also play Marine variant not base. I think the catchup mechanisms is too harah. Early game is so critical to setting up future rounds and money is so critical so early. You end up planning a multistep action around one card and it gets randomly pilfered ruining your entire strategy. You can't always just keep money to combat, and in the lead can just be a single appeal. The randomness of base projects and cards is more than enough luck for me, it is maddening to have a really solid strategy blown up because a monkey steals the 1 of 6 cards you really need a turn before you play it.

Re: No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 03 October 2026, 01:00
by kingdedede745
I play exclusively in peaceful mode, as I hate direct attacks in every board game. It’s the only reason I don’t play Arena.

Im able to find players pretty quickly when I set up a turn based game.

Re: No one wants to play Peaceable mode?

Posted: 03 October 2026, 03:17
by Magrim42
There's no real reason too play arena unless you want to 1v1 and gain rank.

Pretty much all the options you listed you wanted are available.

Couple things, one is, in the base game beginner and intermediate maps are for new players only but when you take that option, everyone is stuck with the same map. You can pick choose your map but then everyone just picks the newbie ones. Be nice if there were a couple different options. Because if you were to pick beginner and choose only play play with beginners, that's a game that probably isn't going to happen.

I play mostly in peaceful because it feels like to me that they are very low random gotchya kinda mechanics, that the person getting hit with them isn't necessarily in the lead. So really, it's just another tool a more advanced player can use to take advantage. I think its nice to also have more second action cards.

I think marine world did a good job making the base game better and makes it more fun as well as the adjusted basic player maps.

I think most ppl do 3 player games, they are just smoother and less long, less waiting for your turn.

Keep in mind ark nova is one of the most popular games on bga, whereas lots of other games you can't get a live game going at all. There's always turnased though and those are fun.