Tournaments FAQ

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Mathew5000

Re: Tournaments FAQ

Post by Mathew5000 »

grojaky wrote: 09 October 2023, 22:32 How are the ties calculated ?
Participated to a Jaipur tournament, won all games but one, tied with someone else (won against) but second.
Points difference 6 for me, 10 for the first, where does that come from? Is the rule the same for any game?
I'll assume you're talking about a round-robin tournament. BGA uses cumulative score differential as a tiebreaker between players with the same number of tournament points in round robins. You can find lots of discussion of this on the forums. Many people have proposed that the tiebreaker should be the winner of the game played between the tied players, but then what if there is a three-way tie? Another issue with the cumulative score differential as tiebreaker is this: if you're losing a game by a lot, there's a big incentive to concede, because then the deemed score for that game will be 1 to 0; that could help you a lot in the tiebreaker and hurt your opponent. This was discussed recently in the following thread: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154378

I'm not familiar with the game Jaipur, however.
Cavetoad

Post by Cavetoad »

Hello,

So I'm trying to set up a tournament for my group of Memoire 44 friends.

I keep getting the error "Alpha options can only be played in Friendly mode". What does this mean? I've tried changing dates, we'll play turn based, and I'm giving a generous amount of time for people to finish games.

Any ideas what setting I may have wrong? Thanks for any help!
nik592

Post by nik592 »

I'm guessing the scenario (or one of the other game options) is alpha? Alpha usually refers to game options (nothing to do with the tournament) and I believe there are quite a few alpha scenarios in Memoir.
YES_Andris

Post by YES_Andris »

Hello,

I have a question: as a Premium member, could I create a tournament for a game in which I have less than 100 ELO?
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

YES_Andris wrote: 02 January 2024, 14:35 Hello,

I have a question: as a Premium member, could I create a tournament for a game in which I have less than 100 ELO?
As a premium member, you can create a tournament for literally any game - even one you've never played. You can also sign up to any tournament that you've created, whatever your ELO. You can also send invites to any player you want, even if their ELO is less than 100 too.
YES_Andris

Post by YES_Andris »

mrdoctor wrote: 02 January 2024, 21:02
YES_Andris wrote: 02 January 2024, 14:35 Hello,

As a premium member, you can create a tournament for literally any game - even one you've never played. You can also sign up to any tournament that you've created, whatever your ELO. You can also send invites to any player you want, even if their ELO is less than 100 too.
Great, thanks a lot!
ddbas

Post by ddbas »

could not find anwers in the FAQ:

- if i set up a tournament with a minimum number of players and we do not reach this minimum registered at the date of start, what happens? The tournament is canceled?

- is there a way to postpone/change the date of starting a tournament? Appart from canceling it :mrgreen:
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

ddbas wrote: 07 January 2024, 13:31 could not find anwers in the FAQ:

- if i set up a tournament with a minimum number of players and we do not reach this minimum registered at the date of start, what happens? The tournament is canceled?

- is there a way to postpone/change the date of starting a tournament? Appart from canceling it :mrgreen:
* If minimum number not met by the start date, it simply just doesn't start, and is cancelled.
* unless you're BGA staff, the tournament organiser cannot change a single setting on a tournament (aside from cancelling it entirely before it begins) once 1 or more people (aside from the organiser themselves) has signed up to it. Quite literally the only power the tournament-organiser has is just choosing the initial settings.
Canis Minor

Post by Canis Minor »

Hello,

Is it possible to create tournaments whose description limits participation for national or ethnic groups?
BQuinn

Post by BQuinn »

Is there any way to see all the tournaments I'm signed up for and/or currently playing in?

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”