Tournaments FAQ

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Draasill

Re: Tournaments FAQ

Post by Draasill »

Agricool wrote: 01 November 2021, 07:50 I created a private tournament for French speakers.
It is specified "by invitation or by link" so that people can register.
Several people by following the link:
https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=105950
Say they can't register. The website asks them for an invitation.
Hi,

the link you have to give is the one you get when clicking on the "[Get private tournament link]" Button :)
Kym Smit

Post by Kym Smit »

This FAQ looks like it needs to be updated.
example "For now, BGA supports 2 kinds of tournaments " this has not been the case for a while now, round robin, group stages etc.

Cheers
NCFCRulz

Post by NCFCRulz »

ncc44 wrote: 07 November 2021, 03:15 This FAQ looks like it needs to be updated.
example "For now, BGA supports 2 kinds of tournaments " this has not been the case for a while now, round robin, group stages etc.

Cheers
Case in point in response to my thread!
covadis

Post by covadis »

6 years later is it still a Beta ? :)
sourisdudesert wrote: 11 November 2015, 09:53 These Frequently Asked Questions is here to be improved: please don't hesitate to post questions as replies to this post. Most frequent questions will be added to this FAQ.

What do you mean by "BETA module"?

Tournament management is very complex. BGA hosts a lot of games, and each games has its own specificities.

We designed this module to be as good as possible, but we need your bug reports and your suggestions to make it even better.

Please don't hesitate to give us your feedback.

How can I participate to a tournament?

From Competition / Tournaments, you can see the list of tournaments and register for one of them.

On each tournament page, you can see the date/time of the matches. Please make sure you are available at these times.

Note : time are always displayed corresponding to your browser time zone on BGA.

What is important to check before joining a tournament?

If you register to a tournament and then don't come, you receive a "leave" penalty on your profile. Consequently, this is very important to check that you are available for ALL planned matches.

Pay attention : tournaments are organized by the community, and it could happen that some tournaments contains too many matches and/or some uncomfortable date/time. Please pay attention before joining a tournament and please do not join the tournament if you are not sure that you can make it for all matches.

Who can create tournaments?

To create a tournament you have to be a BGA Premium member.

How can I create a tournament?

Scroll down to the bottom of the tournament list: there you will find the interface to create a new tournament.

Do user-created tournaments award prestige points?

Yes, they are absolutely "normal" tournaments.

What are the tournament types currently supported?

For now, BGA supports 2 kinds of tournaments :
_ Swiss system: all players plays X games. For each match the matchmaking algorithm matches players with the same number of wins according to Swiss system rules.
_ Single elimination system.

Can I create tournaments for any games on the website?

Yes. However, only 2 players games are supported by the 2 types of tournaments currently supported.

Are the tournaments only realtime? Can I set some specific options (ex : ELO off) ?

All options available for a normal games can be set when creating a tournament.

In particular, you can create both realtime and turnbased tournaments.

Can I cancel a tournament before it begins?

Yes.

What will happen to the usual "Daily Meeple" tournaments?

There will be no more "Daily Meeple" tournaments: we prefer to let the community organize the appropriate competitions for each games.

What are "championships"?

A championship is a group of tournaments, sharing the same name.

If you consider the example of Soccer World Cup :
_ Soccer World Cup is a "championship".
_ Soccer World Cup 2018 edition is a "tournament" which is part of the previous championship.

What is important to know when creating a tournament?

_ Don't create a tournament that is too big. Only very popular tournaments gets more than 20-30 players. It is much better to have a well organized tournament with 10 players than a 99% empty tournament of 1000 players.
_ Don't set up too many matches, otherwise no one will be available at all matches date/time.
_ Don't organize too long play sessions. Playing 6 successive matches of a 1 hour game is way too much...

Why is my tournament not at the top of the tournament list?

We are using a sorting algorithm to sort tournaments on the tournament list.

Basically, we try to display in priority :
_ tournaments that are popular (many registered players).
_ tournaments that are going to begin in a short while.

The only way to bring your tournament on the first page is to make a lot of players register (advertise for it :) ).

Can I create a tournament with a paying access / with a prize in money?

Not without our authorization.

Please first contact us (contact [at] boardgamearena.com).

Can I create an "Official tournament" for a game

Not without the authorization of this game rights owner. If you cannot provide a proper authorization, BGA will cancel your tournament.
Bangla

Post by Bangla »

How can I withdraw from a tournament I entered by accident? It has started, and only during the first game I realised it included all the expansions.
CityKat

Post by CityKat »

Hi team,

I'm a premium member but arena and tournaments are blocked out for me. It says I have to reach "100 ELO" to unlock. What are ELO? How do I know how many I have? I've been on and playing for a while...

Thanks!
Kat
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

CityKat wrote: 12 January 2022, 04:49 Hi team,

I'm a premium member but arena and tournaments are blocked out for me. It says I have to reach "100 ELO" to unlock. What are ELO? How do I know how many I have? I've been on and playing for a while...

Thanks!
Kat
Hi there.

Your ELO is a rating, more or less showing how you good you have performed at a certain game. You start at 0 ELO and (hopefully) build it up by playing a game. Below 100 ELO you can never loose ELO. You can see your ELO level for a certain game when you are playing that game, below your BGA name, or for all your games at your game page, scrolling down to the list of games you have played: https://boardgamearena.com/player?id=88348247. Note that you don't win or loose ELO in practice games.

More info on ELO can be found at https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=faq_account_elo.

And indeed you have to reach 100 ELO for a game to be able to play Arena and most of the time tournaments too. Although the tournament creator can remove the latter, I think.
nairobiny

Post by nairobiny »

T72on1 wrote: 12 January 2022, 08:39 And indeed you have to reach 100 ELO for a game to be able to play Arena and most of the time tournaments too. Although the tournament creator can remove the latter, I think.
It looks like the tournament creator can do that, but I've not had much luck with it when I've tried it: some sub 100 players said they were still blocked. However, you can always get a manual invite to any tournament, so you could just ask the tournament creator if they can invite you.
Asiefil

Post by Asiefil »

sourisdudesert wrote: 11 November 2015, 09:53
Why is my tournament not at the top of the tournament list?

We are using a sorting algorithm to sort tournaments on the tournament list.

Basically, we try to display in priority :
_ tournaments that are popular (many registered players).
_ tournaments that are going to begin in a short while.
Has this algorithm changed? The first page of upcoming Kingdom Builder tournaments contains a number of tournaments, not even open for registration, that start up to 10 months in the future and all created by one user. This results in a number of tournaments open to registration and due to start in the next few weeks not appearing on the first page (which might as well make them invisible).
Respublik

Post by Respublik »

What are the consequences of using the withdraw from a tournament button?

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”