Tournaments FAQ

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Mathew5000

Re: Tournaments FAQ

Post by Mathew5000 »

BQuinn wrote: 09 January 2024, 22:58 Is there any way to see all the tournaments I'm signed up for and/or currently playing in?
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34072
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

Canis Minor wrote: 08 January 2024, 11:38 Hello,

Is it possible to create tournaments whose description limits participation for national or ethnic groups?
.... yikes-! :shock: :o :?
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

mrdoctor wrote: 11 January 2024, 01:59
Canis Minor wrote: 08 January 2024, 11:38 Hello,

Is it possible to create tournaments whose description limits participation for national or ethnic groups?
.... yikes-! :shock: :o :?
My thought exactly.
Soetriet

Post by Soetriet »

is the playing time displayed on the tournament information page in my time zone or in the person who set up the tournament's time zone?
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Soetriet wrote: 13 January 2024, 00:08 is the playing time displayed on the tournament information page in my time zone or in the person who set up the tournament's time zone?
It seems to use your device's clock. So in general you should assume the playing time is in your own time zone. But it seems to get a bit weird if your time zone is not an integer number of hours offset from UTC (for example, Newfoundland, India, South Australia).
Soetriet

Post by Soetriet »

Starkeomer

Post by Starkeomer »

I see that in single elimination tournaments players are seeded with respect to their ELO ranking.
Is there a way to determine how many the seeded players are in relation to the number of partecipating players?
Thank you,
Adriano
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Starkeomer wrote: 14 January 2024, 13:26 I see that in single elimination tournaments players are seeded with respect to their ELO ranking.
Is there a way to determine how many the seeded players are in relation to the number of partecipating players?
When I investigated this question, I concluded that in single elimination tournaments on BGA, all players are seeded by elo.

Example 1: 8 players enter. In round 1, the player with the highest elo faces the player with the lowest; the player with the second-highest elo faces the player with the second-lowest, and so on. In round 2 (semifinals), the winner of #1-vs-#8 faces the winner of #4-vs-#5; the winner of #2-vs-#7 faces the winner of #3-vs-#6. This way the player with the second-highest elo (at the start of the tournament) is protected from facing the player with the highest elo until the final round.

Example 2: 13 players enter. In round 1, the three players with the highest elo get a bye into round 2. The other pairings are #4-vs-#13, #5-vs-#12, #6-vs-#11, #7-vs-#10, and #8-vs-#9. At the start of round 2 there are 8 players still alive. #1 faces the winner of #8-vs-#9; #2 faces the winner of #7-vs-#10; #3 faces the winner of #6-vs-#11, and the winner of #4-vs-#13 faces the winner of #5-vs-#12.

A few weeks ago there were some major changes to how elo is calculated, and I have not checked since then, whether the seeding system for single-elimination tournaments was altered.
Starkeomer

Post by Starkeomer »

Mathew5000 wrote: 15 January 2024, 09:56
Starkeomer wrote: 14 January 2024, 13:26 I see that in single elimination tournaments players are seeded with respect to their ELO ranking.
When I investigated this question, I concluded that in single elimination tournaments on BGA, all players are seeded by elo.

Example 1: 8 players enter. In round 1, the player with the highest elo faces the player with the lowest; the player with the second-highest elo faces the player with the second-lowest, and so on. In round 2 (semifinals), the winner of #1-vs-#8 faces the winner of #4-vs-#5; the winner of #2-vs-#7 faces the winner of #3-vs-#6. This way the player with the second-highest elo (at the start of the tournament) is protected from facing the player with the highest elo until the final round.

Example 2: 13 players enter. In round 1, the three players with the highest elo get a bye into round 2. The other pairings are #4-vs-#13, #5-vs-#12, #6-vs-#11, #7-vs-#10, and #8-vs-#9. At the start of round 2 there are 8 players still alive. #1 faces the winner of #8-vs-#9; #2 faces the winner of #7-vs-#10; #3 faces the winner of #6-vs-#11, and the winner of #4-vs-#13 faces the winner of #5-vs-#12.

A few weeks ago there were some major changes to how elo is calculated, and I have not checked since then, whether the seeding system for single-elimination tournaments was altered.
Thank you very much for your answer
Gooble

Post by Gooble »

Can I join and participate in a tournament for a Premium game even if I do not have a Premium account? If my opponent is also a non-Premium member, we would not normally be allowed to play a match of the game. Does tournament mode ignore this? I've never played a tournament yet and I do not want to sign up and get penalised because I'm unable to play my matches. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”