[OFFICIAL] Rules clarification about unpayable cards

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Keithustus

Re: [OFFICIAL] Rules clarification about unpayable cards

Post by Keithustus »

FTFY:
  • in particular, the rulebooks is not preventing you to use a paid boost if you have only one heat and you need it to pay for an upgrade. Notice that this can actually be a positive thing for the player because...
This text is from Reddit's wonderful Paid-Not-Payed-Bot:
Although payed exists (the reason why autocorrection didn't help you), it is only correct in:
  • Nautical context, when it means to paint a surface, or to cover with something like tar or resin in order to make it waterproof or corrosion-resistant. 'The deck is yet to be payed.'
  • Payed out when letting strings, cables or ropes out, by slacking them. 'The rope is payed out! You can pull now.'
Unfortunately, I was unable to find nautical or rope-related words in your comment.
critternation

Post by critternation »

With regards to unplayable cards I've noticed players use the "4 gas pedal" even without heat to pay for it and the system will give them a free boost card that could be a 4 anyway.

Is this really how the game works surely you shouldn't be allowed to exploit this free move without the heat?
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

critternation wrote: 25 May 2024, 04:34 With regards to unplayable cards I've noticed players use the "4 gas pedal" even without heat to pay for it and the system will give them a free boost card that could be a 4 anyway.

Is this really how the game works surely you shouldn't be allowed to exploit this free move without the heat?
Has been asked many times on BGG, pretty much no-one agrees this is how it should work, play testers claim it isn't how it should work, but without input from the designers which hasn't been given, we can't really dispute this is the rule as BGA say it is what they were given by DoW.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

I've not tested it, but if you don't have heat to pay for wings, do you still get the corner modifier and random speed card instead of the card's value? (That would seem to be the logical equivalent of the gas pedal play to me - you can use the direct play to play it, use the cooling to cool a heat, and if you then can't pay the cost (maybe because you spent the heat on a boost), then you can keep all the benefits and flip a card for the speed)
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

PaulB-UK wrote: 27 May 2024, 21:52 I've not tested it, but if you don't have heat to pay for wings, do you still get the corner modifier and random speed card instead of the card's value? (That would seem to be the logical equivalent of the gas pedal play to me - you can use the direct play to play it, use the cooling to cool a heat, and if you then can't pay the cost (maybe because you spent the heat on a boost), then you can keep all the benefits and flip a card for the speed)
No, because the card is discarded, and doesn't count as played for the +2 modifier to apply to the corner check.
howie varez

Post by howie varez »

critternation wrote: 25 May 2024, 04:34 With regards to unplayable cards I've noticed players use the "4 gas pedal" even without heat to pay for it and the system will give them a free boost card that could be a 4 anyway.

Even worse is when they use it to cool a heat, use that heat to boost, and then get the free boost from not paying heat for the 4. Effectively a "++". As Oz said though, this has been brought up on BGG on multiple occasions and the designer and DOW have chosen not to confirm or address it.

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”