Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Tisaac

Re: Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Post by Tisaac »

sanchochili wrote: 09 April 2024, 21:59 Agreed. Please fix this. My suggestion for those that leave (or are kicked for time expiring) is to either turn them into legends and automate their moves or just have them be last on the podium. Either way it shouldn't affect people gaining elo and if it happens after someone crosses the finish line, that has to be okay right? It literally just happened where I crossed the finish line and "won" but hadn't taken the podium yet (table 497862162) and the player went offline and never came back and was kicked out, which affects everyone's potential elo and just feels like a waste of time for some of us. It also affects that player's reputation and they are fairly new to BGA anyway, they probably thought it was okay to leave since someone crossed the finish line.
If someone cross the finish Line, players have a give up option so that's not a real argument IMO.
As for kicked players, as said before nothing can be done by us game devs, it would require a change in the bga framework
ChiefPointThief

Re: Are we ever going to change the system to stop hurting honest players vs quitters?

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Tisaac wrote: 12 April 2024, 10:13
sanchochili wrote: 09 April 2024, 21:59 Agreed. Please fix this. My suggestion for those that leave (or are kicked for time expiring) is to either turn them into legends and automate their moves or just have them be last on the podium. Either way it shouldn't affect people gaining elo and if it happens after someone crosses the finish line, that has to be okay right? It literally just happened where I crossed the finish line and "won" but hadn't taken the podium yet (table 497862162) and the player went offline and never came back and was kicked out, which affects everyone's potential elo and just feels like a waste of time for some of us. It also affects that player's reputation and they are fairly new to BGA anyway, they probably thought it was okay to leave since someone crossed the finish line.
If someone cross the finish Line, players have a give up option so that's not a real argument IMO.
As for kicked players, as said before nothing can be done by us game devs, it would require a change in the bga framework
It sounds like you are not opposed to the idea of the game continuing after a kick but that you are just unable to do anything about it currently? How much work would it require for bga to change the framework (just wondering if this will ever be a possiblity :) ) and what is the best course of action to make it possible? I think it would be great if devs had the option to put this feature in games.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

ChiefPointThief wrote: 15 April 2024, 14:38
It sounds like you are not opposed to the idea of the game continuing after a kick but that you are just unable to do anything about it currently? How much work would it require for bga to change the framework (just wondering if this will ever be a possiblity :) ) and what is the best course of action to make it possible? I think it would be great if devs had the option to put this feature in games.
Correct. I dont know how much works that would be to change that. It's not the first time we suggest improvements to the BGA framework (see solo/team score vs win/lose for instance), but it's not really the top priority for them at the moment, and just as for the release schedule, we basically dont know something is worked on until it's done.
Just keep complaining and upvoting it, and maybe it will change ? :)
sanchochili

Post by sanchochili »

For crossing the finish line, I'm talking about specifically when Player 1 crosses the finish line and then before that round is over, player 5 quits the game, so the round hasn't finished, which means player 5 doesn't have the "give up" button yet, they're just closing the browser. You don't get the "give up" button until the completion of a round in which someone crosses the finish line.

But on that topic, what would happen if everyone just always had the "give up" button? What would it do if that button was available the whole game? Would it still penalize players that leave? Because I feel like that would at least somewhat help, since it seems that trailing players get frustrated and just close out of BGA and then we kick them out because their time expired, but if they had the option to quit and take last on the podium with no penalty and without it affecting the remaining players' ability to gain elo, maybe that would work for some of these cases?
arrie1987

Post by arrie1987 »

A kick out of the game should also be a give up for that player.
Not a win for the rest, but akways a give up.
I played a game of heat for 2 weeks. Won the game, but someone was out of time, was kicked out and i got less tournament points I suppose to have. I don't care about how much i got and win or lose, but i have played a game for 2 weeks for basiccaly nothing.
And that is a shame how it works. Hope it can be changed at some point.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

Relevant to some of the comments in this thread:

I have created a site discussion about improving the framework to allow game specific behaviors when someone quits/is booted from a game.

See here:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36255

And the corresponding suggestion that you can upvote:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=121841
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

arrie1987 wrote: 17 April 2024, 07:59 A kick out of the game should also be a give up for that player.
Not a win for the rest, but akways a give up.
I played a game of heat for 2 weeks. Won the game, but someone was out of time, was kicked out and i got less tournament points I suppose to have. I don't care about how much i got and win or lose, but i have played a game for 2 weeks for basiccaly nothing.
And that is a shame how it works. Hope it can be changed at some point.
Yes, as bad as this real-time, I imagine it feels even worse in turn-based, because even though you haven't actually it feels like you've invested more time when you play for a week, only to have someone quit at the end. As you say when it happens it feels like you just wasted your time, and unfortunately Heat is by far the worst game for this behaviour that I have encountered on BGA.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

I think it's worse in tournaments, usually someone ends up overtime due to differing time zones (despite not playing slowly) and often someone will kick them because they aren't winning.
Injured Pigeon

Post by Injured Pigeon »

This is why I've decided to give up on Heat tournaments. 😞
LeScribe

Post by LeScribe »

Phoxtrot wrote: 22 April 2024, 19:06 Relevant to some of the comments in this thread:

I have created a site discussion about improving the framework to allow game specific behaviors when someone quits/is booted from a game.

See here:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36255

Yes, I totally agree !
In Heat, some players that see they can't come back to other players and will lose the game voluntary quit game.
First, we wait for them that their counter comes to -20 seconds, but WORST, our race is totally perverted and we don't win points desearved §

In my last 3 races, 1 player decided voluntary to quit because he saw he couldn't win, and when I finally won the race, I was awarded by only +1 ELO point !!!!!
3 win, +3 points only because of quitters !

And even RED THUMBing is not enough for them to continue (see their history).

Phoxtrot wrote: 22 April 2024, 19:06 And the corresponding suggestion that you can upvote:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=121841
Phoxtrot, problem is that your 'bug' report is not related to Heat, it doesn't appear in Heat's bug reports

Bruno

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”