Hearts update FAQ

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
ufm

Hearts update FAQ

Post by ufm »

Yesterday Hearts got the first update since 2016.
As there were lots of changes from the previous version, I will explain the reasonings behind them while writing down comments from players.

- The previous version was perfect. This whole thing is unnecessary!

No, it was not as these bug/suggestion reports say: https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=36
After all, 'perfect' in this case is a relative term.
If you are OK with the current implementation it can be considered perfect for you, at least.

- Old version was much better. Revert right now!
- I hate this version.

Actually these comments solve nothing and do not help anyone as they did not address what the problems are at all.
I received a grand total of 0 bug reports/suggestions through BGA bug report system regarding the update.
To fix something, first you have to tell what you don't like. If not how can I know what the problems are? I can't read minds.

- This is a completely different game, I propose to make 2 versions, one classic, the second new.

No reason to make 2 implementations as the default Hearts rules did not change at all.
Please select or join the default Hearts tables if you don't like specific variants.

- New cards are irritating/ugly.
- New cards are harder to read.
- New cards are smaller than old cards.
- New cards are too large and do not fit in a single row.
- New cards less resemble the real cards.

In fact, old card sprite is a modified version of Microsoft Solitaire cards. They do not resemble the real cards.
Also, new cards are definitely larger than the old cards. If not why they wouldn't fit in a single row unlike old cards?
As I didn't receive these comments in any other playing card games I implemented, I guess Hearts players prefer accustomed card sprites.
Anyway, this change has turned out to be a dire mistake and the default sprite has been reverted back. Sorry for confusions.

- The play logs are not clear.
- The texts are in English.

The old play logs were messier as there was a translation bug and they didn't properly address the suits or ranks in some languages.
So I changed them directly into the suit icons and rank numbers/alphabets.
Indeed some translations have been lost, but you can add translations yourself if someone else hasn't done it yet:
https://boardgamearena.com/translationhq

- The game plays itself.
- I don't like auto play.
- Preselecting cards is unnecessary.

These changes were the most demanded features in this update.
You can check the list of implemented suggestions from the link on the top.
In the first card play and the last trick players do not have a choice at all, so clicking cards manually is completely unnecessary.
Likewise, automatic round end (TRAM aka the rest are mine) happens only when the round result cannot be changed regardless of choices.
This one can be turned off in lobby option though. Set 'Skip uneventful final tricks' to 'Disabled'.
Card preselect also speeds up the game. Besides, preselection is the player's choice. This one is not automatic.
If you are afraid of clicking mistakes, use confirmation mode from player preference.

- Card highlight is an eyesore.
- The animations are nauseating.

I changed shading of unplayable cards into a non-default preference option and added some delay between the last trick card plays.
Hope the changes solve these issues.

- I passed cards across the table twice in a row. What happened?

The pass cycle has been changed to left - right - across - hold - ... to make it adaptable for all player counts.
Because of this change, in turn-based games temporary back-to-back across passing might happen (maximum once even if it occurs after all).
The previous version adopted left - across - right - hold - ... order which is NOT the most common passing cycle.
So, this change corrected a bug.
This will not happen in new games, games which were not in across passing round, or games already went through double across passing.

- The game play is slower!

You managed to detect 0.1s delays between card plays and 0.5s delays between card passes added to fix animation bugs. Congratulations.

- Remove game logs.
- Clear game history.
- The game should rely on memory!

FYI, the previous version also had this issue and I did not change this (yes, I received these comments even though I didn't change this).
These comments say 'the game should resemble real life version'.
However, it's an unachievable goal as erasing game log does not prevent anyone from recording played cards at all.
Almost all games on BGA keep the game log intact, including games which hide scores like Puerto Rico.
In contrast, plenty of requests for 'live scoring' which is hard or impossible in real life have been posted and some games adopted them.
Also, removing logs screws turn-based players obviously. Thus, rejected.
Related discussion: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28497

- Remove 2/3/4rd place distinction!

FYI, the previous version also had this issue and I did not change this (the same goes for this one too).
All 3+ player games on BGA rank players by the final score, unless the game rule explicitly prevents it (e.g. Quantum). Hearts is no exception.
Related discussion: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=13918

If you have something to suggest, please post a suggestion through BGA bug report system.
I'll be immediately notified by mail and other players can share their opinions too.
Thanks for playing BGA Hearts :)
DaddyKiki69

Re: Hearts update FAQ

Post by DaddyKiki69 »

Thanks for all the updates, great work! It blows my mind how entitled some of the complainers on this site are
esp-ear

Post by esp-ear »

Interesting changes. The left, right across is something I missed observing. (yes the words are there but after 1000+ games you don't read them every time). The Auto finish is interesting. Had a hand with three cards left and my turn (A, K, 6) Since the auto finish didn't end the game, I knew one of my cards was going to get me out of taking the last 3 tricks. Sure enough the K was the lucky card and I didn't take any of the last 3 tricks.

I am not a fan of the auto start of the 2 of clubs. Those few seconds just give to time to prep for the hands to come verses what just happened in that first trick.
ufm

Post by ufm »

esp-ear wrote: 14 June 2023, 01:36 Had a hand with three cards left and my turn (A, K, 6) Since the auto finish didn't end the game, I knew one of my cards was going to get me out of taking the last 3 tricks. Sure enough the K was the lucky card and I didn't take any of the last 3 tricks.
In many hands it might not be the case as automatic TRAM activates only when the result is 100% certain.
So, in cases when you can get out of the last tricks only if someone else does not play optimally, the game will still continue.

e.g.) You lead and you have A, 7, 5, 3 of the same suit. Another player has K, 6, 4, 2 of that suit and other players have none.
The hand will not end automatically as there is still a fraction of chance that might change the outcome.
esp-ear wrote: 14 June 2023, 01:36 I am not a fan of the auto start of the 2 of clubs. Those few seconds just give to time to prep for the hands to come verses what just happened in that first trick.
Maybe, for the next player of the starting player.
The starting player benefits most as they don't have to click the card and don't spend their time limit while reviewing their hand.
Time limit of other players are not affected much by this and waiting time after reviewing 3 cards received can be reduced a bit instead.
mikeycycles

Post by mikeycycles »

Love most of the updates. I have mixed feeling about laying down at the end. It seems to tell the player that there is still a way to lose which is not something I think is good for the game.
57erniepyle

Post by 57erniepyle »

Thanks for this update, esp the chance to preselect cards to play. One minor issue: in the player log, the icon for clubs and the one for spades are too similar for these old eyes. A sharper image would help.
tvcollin

Post by tvcollin »

57erniepyle wrote: 21 June 2023, 15:38 Thanks for this update, esp the chance to preselect cards to play. One minor issue: in the player log, the icon for clubs and the one for spades are too similar for these old eyes. A sharper image would help.
I agree with that. Spades ans clubs look to much alike.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Removed emoji classes and reverted back to plain texts
guideos

Post by guideos »

ufm wrote: 27 June 2023, 04:57 Removed emoji classes and reverted back to plain texts
What exactly does that mean? Asking because the game log in Portuguese still shows emojis instead of plain text and, dear God, it definitely spoils the game experience for me, I just can't get used to it :( any workaround I could use?
TarkinsRevenge

Post by TarkinsRevenge »

Is it noted anywhere that the rules regarding leading hearts have been changed in this update? If hearts have not been broken, and your hand only consists of hearts and the Queen of Spades, you can now lead hearts. This is a change from how this game was played previously.

I also do not like this change, but that is another topic. Perhaps this could be an option?

Return to “Hearts”