Whats wrong with matchmaking?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
koss

Whats wrong with matchmaking?

Post by koss »

Is it fair when in matches that you take 1st place you take 0 points?
I understand that this is new players, but why i paired with them, risking to lose pts with no reward?
Can't attach sreenshot
Here is ling for game:
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=503591785
Phoxtrot

Re: Whats wrong with matchmaking?

Post by Phoxtrot »

That's how it works with all games.
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

I also don't believe you are gaining literal 0 points, you are just gaining less than a full point for you to see. This win would still mean you come out at higher points when you reach Elite etc.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

You can change your options to only play people closer to your level if you want.

But as Oz says, you will be gaining "hidden" points, that will be exposed when you get to elite.
koss

Post by koss »

PaulB-UK wrote: 23 April 2024, 14:16 You can change your options to only play people closer to your level if you want.
Thanks
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

The only warning about filtering ELO level for Arena games is firstly someone could be 400 ELO but Bronze at Arena, so you'd still get what happened here, and vice-versa, someone could be Elite league and 100 ELO and you'd be filtering out playing them. Secondly you risk struggling to find games especially if others have different settings, as their games will keep filling, but the players joining your game will get pulled away into games with players you have filtered out in settings, so you risk increasing your waiting times significantly.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

I think the Arena filters work on level - i.e. Bronze, Silver etc, rather than ELO. Can help you to avoid those "no win" matches. (inverted commas used because you're likely to be winning hidden points).
RazorOz

Post by RazorOz »

PaulB-UK wrote: 25 April 2024, 09:05 I think the Arena filters work on level - i.e. Bronze, Silver etc, rather than ELO. Can help you to avoid those "no win" matches. (inverted commas used because you're likely to be winning hidden points).
Do they? Because the filters I see are the same as for regular games, average, good player, strong player etc.
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

RazorOz wrote: 25 April 2024, 23:19
PaulB-UK wrote: 25 April 2024, 09:05 I think the Arena filters work on level - i.e. Bronze, Silver etc, rather than ELO. Can help you to avoid those "no win" matches. (inverted commas used because you're likely to be winning hidden points).
Do they? Because the filters I see are the same as for regular games, average, good player, strong player etc.
I have these:
My level
Near my level (+/- 1)
Around my level (+/- 2)
Far from my level
arrie1987

Post by arrie1987 »

I also have the "normal" levels like beginner, master etc.

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”