CSS for Colourblind Players

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
redfaern

CSS for Colourblind Players

Post by redfaern »

I have protanopia and the green and yellow cars look identical to me. I created a new image with the green car darker, along with CSS to use this image. This CSS may also help if you are a deuteranope. If you don't know what those official terms for colour vision deficiency mean, typically both are referred to as red-green colourblind (or colorblind for North Americans).

I would have loved to make it British Racing Green, but then it may have been too close to the red or orange for me.

To use this, simply go to Profile -> Settings -> Advanced. Copy and paste the line at the bottom of this post into the big white box then click Save. The next time you play a game it should be active.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.bgagame-heat .car { background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/g1zwU8R.png); }
Last edited by redfaern on 13 May 2024, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Tisaac

Re: CSS for Colourblind Players

Post by Tisaac »

redfaern wrote: 08 May 2024, 16:22 I have protanopia and the green and yellow cars look identical to me. I created a new image with the green car darker along with CSS to use this image. This CSS may also help if you are a deuteranope. If you don't know what those official terms for colour vision deficiency mean, typically both are referred to as red-green colourblind (or colorblind for North Americans).

I would have loved to make it British Racing Green, but then it may have been too close to the red or orange for me.

To use this, simply go to Profile -> Settings -> Advanced. Copy and paste the line at the bottom of this post into the big white box then click Save. The next time you play a game it should be active.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.bgagame-heat .car { background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/g1zwU8R.png); }
What about making this more official ? We could add a user preference without too much trouble. How can you know which player is which color if you only change the car colors though ?
redfaern

Post by redfaern »

There have been a number of requests from colourblind players on the forums. It does not seem that BGA wishes to address this. I did not read all of the posts so I don't know why. I imagine that every game with colourblind issues would need some re-coding to implement. They would need an alternate art set for different types of colourblindness for the affected components, then code to select the correct art set based on user preferences. They could also implement an option for font colours too. It wouldn't be difficult, but it would be time consuming. It would be better if they could just use art sets with colours that already work for all colourblind players. I know different games have different colours, but it is possible to select a palette that works for almost all forms of colourblindness. Eg, it's not going to work for those with monochromatic (black & white) vision.

I did see a response about being able to fix it on an individual basis using CSS, which inspired me to do just that for Heat. Perhaps the most reliable and quick way to get a fix is if players who've created CSS for various games add them to a sticky forum post. People can just cut and paste the entire CSS into their personal preferences. There are a couple of other games which affect me so I might start that when I write the CSS for them.

As for telling which player is using which car, the player names and player boards are in the same colours as the car. The green car now closely aligns with the green used in the player name font for me. Also, if you hover your mouse over a car it will show you the avatar and name of the player who owns that car. Unfortunately, that doesn't work on a mobile device as you can't "hover" since their is no mouse cursor.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

redfaern wrote: 09 May 2024, 02:03 There have been a number of requests from colourblind players on the forums. It does not seem that BGA wishes to address this. I did not read all of the posts so I don't know why. I imagine that every game with colourblind issues would need some re-coding to implement. They would need an alternate art set for different types of colourblindness for the affected components, then code to select the correct art set based on user preferences. They could also implement an option for font colours too. It wouldn't be difficult, but it would be time consuming. It would be better if they could just use art sets with colours that already work for all colourblind players. I know different games have different colours, but it is possible to select a palette that works for almost all forms of colourblindness. Eg, it's not going to work for those with monochromatic (black & white) vision.

I did see a response about being able to fix it on an individual basis using CSS, which inspired me to do just that for Heat. Perhaps the most reliable and quick way to get a fix is if players who've created CSS for various games add them to a sticky forum post. People can just cut and paste the entire CSS into their personal preferences. There are a couple of other games which affect me so I might start that when I write the CSS for them.

As for telling which player is using which car, the player names and player boards are in the same colours as the car. The green car now closely aligns with the green used in the player name font for me. Also, if you hover your mouse over a car it will show you the avatar and name of the player who owns that car. Unfortunately, that doesn't work on a mobile device as you can't "hover" since their is no mouse cursor.
This is indeed a per-game work, but since i am one the heat dev, i was suggesting you to create a suggestion so we can add that into heat as an official user pref.
redfaern

Post by redfaern »

Thanks. I have created a suggestion: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=123769. If other players would like to see a colourblind preference, please upvote this suggestion.

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”