KING OF TOKYO- Power UP: More kings, more Tokyo, more DESTRUCTION!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

KING OF TOKYO- Power UP: More kings, more Tokyo, more DESTRUCTION!

Post by DrClick »

It has been a year now since the original King of Tokyo was released here.
And so much has been done since then!

That is why the Iello team has prepared an infographic of the most important key numbers about the game, since it came to BGA!

With King of Tokyo: Power Up! expansion for the King of Tokyo base game we meet the new monster Pandakai, a giant panda bear.
After choosing a monster, each player takes the eight Evolution cards associated with that monster, shuffles those cards, and creates a personal deck. At the end of a player's turn, if they have three hearts, they draw one Evolution card and add it to their hand- even if they are in Tokyo (where hearts are normally useless) and even if the hearts are used for some other action, such as healing.

A player can reveal and play an Evolution card at any time. Some Evolutions are temporary, allowing a one-time bonus, while others are Permanent, such as Gigazaur's "Tail Sweep", which allows him to change one die to a 1 or 2 every turn. Each Evolution card also identifies whether a monster is a Mutant, Invader, or Robot, and while not relevant for Power Up!, this species identification could come into play in future expansions.

The rules for King of Tokyo: Power Up! contain a few variants: Players start with a random Evolution in play, draw two cards and choose the one they want, or draft a set of Evolutions prior to the start of play. However you play, the goal of the game remains the same: Score 20 points or be the last monster standing amid the rubble of what was once Tokyo.

You know the game, you know Kung-fu, you know everything needed to fight on Board Game Arena, now click the game page link to discover more: https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=kingoftokyo

And if you do not know how to be a King of Tokyo in King of Tokyo, click this link to our nice tutorial here:
https://boardgamearena.com/tutorial?gam ... torial=217

Of course, we would like to thank the fantastic Iello Team, who made this possible, as well as Richard Garfield for their autorization to bring the game to our platform.
Thoun is the name you're looking for: one of the most prolific developers on BGA has again ported this expansion to the site.
Play it from anywhere, tablets or phones, computers or e-readers: as long as there is an up-to-date web-browser on it, you should be able to play thanks to him.

That's it for today. No more expansions for the moment. For today. But you can count on us if something happens in the near future.
Who knows.
Where we're going we don't need roads!
Take care and play fair!
voriki

Re: KING OF TOKYO- Power UP: More kings, more Tokyo, more DESTRUCTION!

Post by voriki »

DrClick wrote: 31 August 2022, 09:37 Thoun is the name you're looking for: one of the most prolific developers on BGA has again ported this expansion to the site.
Thank you Thoun, no words can express what you've done for me, and for this site.
Your adaption has made me develop a passion for the King of Tokyo mechanics, and I gladly dedicate my time to it. Unfortunately it also affected my wallet. but good news for IELLO's sales figures.
DrClick wrote: 31 August 2022, 09:37 Of course, we would like to thank the fantastic Iello Team, who made this possible, as well as Richard Garfield for their autorization to bring the game to our platform.
Thank you, can't wait to meet you guys at Essen Spiel 2022. Don't know if Richard will be there too, but he too has given the world so much to live for, with one of his most well known creations being Magic the Gathering, litterally gathering players around the world.

As for Power-Up, the great Pandakai. it's been a long wait, as all other expansions had preceded you while you were the OG expansion. The big kahuna greatly changing gamplay. For you I have just one message: ❤️❤️❤️, and we all know what that means, EVOLVE! Overcome, adapt and rise victorious. Make the other Monsters tremble in fear.
Kallsup

Post by Kallsup »

Such a great infographic, and awesome work on the game!!
soaptrail

Post by soaptrail »

Evolution cards are an awesome dynamic to King of Tokyo. I cannot wait to try it on BGA.
OutOfHabit

Post by OutOfHabit »

This is a must-play expansion!
I admit I often enjoy expansions, but usually they are not quite as necessary as this one is.
JohanÖstan

Post by JohanÖstan »

This is awesome! Now I'll just keep hoping/dreaming King of New York might be added too...
voriki

Post by voriki »

JohanÖstan wrote: 31 August 2022, 21:48 This is awesome! Now I'll just keep hoping/dreaming King of New York might be added too...
I hope so too. Hopefully we can persuade IELLO if their franchise gets good sales from the upcoming King of Monster Island game.

*disclaimer: I am in no way endorsed by IELLO by advertising their line of products. It's just such a good game that I hope the franchise gets expanded upon as much as possible.
keirdre

Post by keirdre »

the amount of development on this game is nuts! thank you so much.
bagiawe

Post by bagiawe »

Finally, i've been waiting for Power Up since the beginning!!! The contents update on this game is insane, keep up the good work.
Plantor

Post by Plantor »

I don't want to pour water into the vine, but I actually think that King of Tokyo is suffering from way too many extensions.
The original game with a few more monsters and/or silly upgrades is shining on its own and still is a great experience, but there were often games in which players had complained of have been squeezed to boredom or were lost in confusion when those extensions were enabled all at once.
Don't get me wrong, there are certainly hardcore players cheering at the next "big thing", but for me, KoT is risking to fall in too many fractions of the community, dividing them into "pro" and "common" players. Counting myself to the latter, I catch myself more and more to ignore the game, when spotting 3 full lines filled with enabled extensions in the lobby.
Sometimes, a product is reaching maturity at the beginning... 😊

Sorry for my humble grasps at English (no native speaker here, as you might have already guessed)

Return to “Official announcements [en]”