Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
GeraldineMerida

Re: New lobby (integrated to game page)

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Also, I just tried to cancel an
Arena game (Noir: no other opponents found as yet) using the new interface, and it won't let me: nothing happens when I click the shiny red cancel button.
Ankeszu

Post by Ankeszu »

sourisdudesert wrote: 02 December 2022, 12:07 I should ask everyone to be constructive and specific here. General remarks ("this is ugly", "this is confusing") do not help us very much to figure out how to improve things, while specific remarks (which situation, which button, which action or series of actions...) allow us to reproduce situations and see why this could be issues.
Let me rephrase then my post from second page of this thread.
I would love if - after clicking "rematch" - I see the table I'm in, with who and with what settings, instead 90% of the visible field was covered by irrelevant info about the game that I obviously know about "enough to play" (it's a rematch, not first time player!). Example shows I can't see ANY interesting info about the table, it forces me to scroll, because it pushed all info below (with a lot of blank space on left side, while right side - side covered by chat popups automatically - is used for table info, thus covered by chats):

An idea: such game page maybe makes sense for someone who didn't play the game a lot. How about the interface looks like this for players that have less elo in specific game than a certain threshold (30, 50, 100?). And for the players above, they would have automatically hidden the part marked on the example below with red {. They can toggle it unhide if they want, but by default it is assumed they know the game they intend to rematch, and the site is more intersted in making them play the game instead losing interest because of too mach interface trouble.
And of course, the table data should be more adjusted to the browser format (what is the point that in wide screens there is so much blank unused space - yellow highlight on the example below - the game icon can be moved left and player names can start next to it.)

Another example and problem. I played with another friend. He suggested rematch. I see the suggestion, click join, and... considering flickery new interface, I assumed I joined. I clicked to join, the interface doesnt show me problem (forces me to watch the game blahblah and elo), so I joined, right? Nope. The table is below main eye focus and is waiting for me to join. But it doesn't show it anyhow - players focus is forced to irrelevant info about the game.

Both of these might be just due to not testing on big resolution. Bigger screen size should be used to show more info, not less...

Old post
How to create a rematch (specific settings and players, recurring tb I've been playing for years)? I clicked on a just ended tb game and it moved me to set settings an players again. Do I have to repeat adding specific players manually even when clicking "propose rematch"? Why???
EDIT. I was on the page for long time until I figured it probably opened the table (waiting for the other player to join). But it is totally not visible - and forces user to scroll down to see anything. Have you ever considered users on big screens? Serious question. My screen looked like this - I can't even see the name of the other player, let alone settings! And by clicking on a table I can't enter it (for example to discuss or have tab opened on a specific table instead "searching"). This is so much confusing. I don't get why "propose a rematch" does not lead to a rematch table, but to a searching tables page (even if it opened rematch table).
https://i.imgur.com/LuzjORV.png
clash

Post by clash »

This is great news!

However, I have a major problem: in games where language is important (Stella, Just One for example), it is not possible to choose the language in the new lobby, and not even possible to see the game language in the waiting tables.

If I understand correctly, the tables offered are chosen according to the languages spoken in the profile. But if I speak a little English, it does not mean that I want to play Just One in English for example!

Thanks for changing that.
Mom_said_So

Post by Mom_said_So »

I find the new lobby cluttered and just too busy. It takes longer to get to the game. Not sure why there was a need to change something so simple to something more difficult to navigate.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

From the table we can see the ELO and reputation of the other players as they join. Also, by hovering our mouse we can see how many times they have played this game. We can't see any of that from this new lobby page. I think it would be nice to have a large button that takes us directly to the table.
Last edited by Wreckage on 03 December 2022, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

"For these specific cases, we recommend that you continue to use the current lobby."

How do I continue to use the current lobby?
Rematches are sending me to the new lobby, and I
can't figure out how I get the good view of those tables.
Carolinemgm

Post by Carolinemgm »

clash wrote: 03 December 2022, 02:19 This is great news!

However, I have a major problem: in games where language is important (Stella, Just One for example), it is not possible to choose the language in the new lobby, and not even possible to see the game language in the waiting tables.

If I understand correctly, the tables offered are chosen according to the languages spoken in the profile. But if I speak a little English, it does not mean that I want to play Just One in English for example!

Thanks for changing that.
Oddly, the parameters for language (at least for Just One) are hidden in the image next to the number of players (a door with people going in it).
And the language appears on the existing table only if it does not match with your parameters but it is a little bit strange :
for me all the boxes are checked : french, english, whatever and French tables appear in red.

One thing I prefer in the new lobby is the choice of options which is more clear than the previous choice with double negative sentences which were very strange for me and very not clear.
But I agree with many here that the rematch and invitations for tournament should not send you to this page but directly on the game you are joining (the page given by this link : https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=tablenumber)
nik592

Post by nik592 »

Gulchen wrote: 03 December 2022, 04:33 "For these specific cases, we recommend that you continue to use the current lobby."

How do I continue to use the current lobby?
Rematches are sending me to the new lobby, and I
can't figure out how I get the good view of those tables.
You have to take the long way. Click "Play Now", find your game among your favourites or by searching and open it, and then click View for the table. Too many steps, which I've asked and am hoping they'll improve. But that's how.
vichy

Post by vichy »

About the new lobby the only thing I can say is that they invited me to a rematch of a game. Somehow I am participating in that rematch but I also opened a game to the public. When I happened to spot that I was at an open table waiting for people to join, I walked out. But this morning I'm back in a new game that I didn't create or join with people I don't know. I have removed the game from favorites and hopefully that will stop it from creating and getting into more tables. Because honestly, I have no idea how it happened or how I can avoid it.

Opinion outside of this: usability is based on making it easier and faster for users. As already said, going from a simple lobby to this, why? for what?. And as suggested above, for a game where I have an rating of 200 I don't need to see the page that shows me that there are tutorials created or that there are 569 games in progress that I can watch. It can be useful for people with a low rating (<50, <100), who may not know much about the game.

In fact, uploading all this stuff that I don't need or care about, multiplied by all the users, doesn't overload the servers unnecessarily?

I will continue using the old lobby
Respublik

Post by Respublik »

Wreckage wrote: 03 December 2022, 04:17 From the table we can see the ELO and reputation of the other players as they join. Also, by hovering our mouse we can see how many times they have played this game. We can't see any of that from this new lobby page. I think it would be nice to have a large button that takes us directly to the table.
You can see it by pressing any players avatar. Although it needs some tweaking as any change of any table closes the view.

Return to “Discussions”