Anyone know why this obvious bug has been neglected for so many years?

General discussion on board games
Cos-

Anyone know why this obvious bug has been neglected for so many years?

Post by Cos- »

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=4479

Someone runs out of time. One of the other players choose to skip that player's turn. But even though the game says the player has been skipped, it's still their turn, so nobody else can move. The game is stuck permanently, waiting for the next move from the player who has been kicked out, so the only thing anyone else can do is quit - there's no way to keep playing without the skipped player.

Reported by many different people, including some forum posts I've seen in the past.

The bug I linked to, as you can guess from its low bug number, is old. Although this software doesn't say when the bug was opened, the first comment is from February 2016! Why has it been ignored for so long? Is there any way to get the developers' attention?
Fuchur

Re: Anyone know why this obvious bug has been neglected for so many years?

Post by Fuchur »

It's perhaps difficult to find the reason for this behaviour (personnally, I have never encountered this bug) ?
Strode

Post by Strode »

It says in the thread:

"Bug has not been reproduced by developers yet"

If they cannot reproduce the bug, they can't fix it. My guess is it doesn't always happen in those situations, but only in specific circumstances, and they can't figure out what those are.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Strode wrote: 03 May 2023, 23:34 It says in the thread:
"Bug has not been reproduced by developers yet"
As far as I know this is added automatically to any new bug report. There is not a single comment of any developer. So I am not sure anyone ever really checked!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Fuchur wrote: 02 May 2023, 19:07 It's perhaps difficult to find the reason for this behaviour (personnally, I have never encountered this bug) ?
What I've learned from this other thread https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29998 is that this bug is actually a very subtle thing game developers have to get right in their games, that's not understood by many gave developers here. So it turns out this bug happens in some games but never happens in other games. You've probably been playing games that don't have this issue.

However, because of how hard it is to know what causes this, and because it affects multiple games, usually when it gets reported as a bug in a specific game they think it's not a bug in the game, but a bug in BGA, so they close the bug and don't fix it. It would be much better to fix it platform-wide rather than try to hunt it down in each game.

But... how do we get the admins of BGA to pay attention to it?

Return to “Discuss about board games”